• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-MEN 221
2 2

16 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2022 at 9:34 PM, grendelbo said:

9.4 or better. Depends on what's going on with that upper right corner of the back cover - bindery tear? It's a bit hard to tell. Very nice copy.

Thanks for posting.

No tear.  Just a light impact to the corner 

Let’s call it a 9.2

Now, how hard do we hammer that grade for foxing 🦊?

Inside front cover....

0BE35FB5-8A60-43A3-A70D-FE82321E9C7A.thumb.jpeg.fc29e44c0568427c7d34e73fafef69a7.jpeg

Inside back cover....

795DA5DF-BA88-46A1-A353-004CCFC2ACB2.thumb.jpeg.27ae2090cdf740bbf4f0455b8fa2cea4.jpeg

I see a very light white line running parallel to the spine about 1/2" into the blue. It doesn't appear to be a crease, so it's probably splitting hairs. The tanning/foxing though... My experience is limited and not so good. I'm in no way upset about the grade on this book, but the only note is foxing on the right bottom of the back cover. I mean, I guess that it's slightly discolored? IDK. This one got a 9.4. I think you'd risk going 9.0 or lower.

image.thumb.png.7555fb41d3beb7968a29c3ecd6082b76.png

On 9/3/2022 at 9:57 PM, scburdet said:

I see a very light white line running parallel to the spine about 1/2" into the blue. It doesn't appear to be a crease, so it's probably splitting hairs. The tanning/foxing though... My experience is limited and not so good. I'm in no way upset about the grade on this book, but the only note is foxing on the right bottom of the back cover. I mean, I guess that it's slightly discolored? IDK. This one got a 9.4. I think you'd risk going 9.0 or lower.

image.thumb.png.7555fb41d3beb7968a29c3ecd6082b76.png

White lines are production 

D3EBF39E-D7EB-4251-BCE3-96CA73B1962C.thumb.jpeg.9d98bc1f3cfd6df136acab31842db776.jpeg

Would love a 9.0

I’m thinking it gets hammered to 7.0

On 9/3/2022 at 10:02 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m thinking it gets hammered to 7.0

Yeah, definitely possible. Better to catch it now than open up the submission when the grading is finished and get unexpected bad news. Kinda crazy to see a book like this with that much discoloring, but I guess 1987 isn't as recent as it once was.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:16 PM, scburdet said:

Yeah, definitely possible. Better to catch it now than open up the submission when the grading is finished and get unexpected bad news. Kinda crazy to see a book like this with that much discoloring, but I guess 1987 isn't as recent as it once was.

I’m not submitting them.  Was going to call them 6.0s & sell them raw,  but figured I’d get opinions first.

On 9/5/2022 at 9:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’ll PayPal ya $1 if you give me the scoop on foxing downgrades :foryou:

No need for the dollar---save it for the grading fees.  lol

But seriously, foxing and tanning are two of the more difficult things to assess. A small amount of foxing is allowable on a Near Mint book, but there used to be a pretty fine line there.

Downgrade accordingly depending upon how nice the book is without the foxing. Moderate amounts of light foxing can be allowable in the VF range, and heavier amounts can drop a book down into the VG range. 

I hope this helps...  

Edited by The Lions Den

On 9/5/2022 at 7:43 PM, The Lions Den said:

No need for the dollar---save it for the grading fees.  lol

But seriously, foxing and tanning are two of the more difficult things to assess. A small amount of foxing is allowable on a Near Mint book, but there used to be a pretty fine line there.

Downgrade accordingly depending upon how nice the book is without the foxing. Moderate amounts of light foxing can be allowable in the VF range, and heavier amounts can drop a book down into the VG range. 

I hope this helps...  

Soooo....:whistle:

Your opinion on this X-Men 221?

On 9/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

You submitted copies with foxing?

Not foxing but more of dust/ sun shadowing. I have a youtube video when I got the books back. IIRC there was 1x7.0, 1x8.5, and the other 20 were 9.0 and up. But from the front I was hard pressed to tell the difference between the 7.0 and a 9.6. I can share the video if you're interested and it's kosher.