• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #4
3 3

23 posts in this topic

Thank you for responding.

I should have called out the big crinkel at the top staple, front cover..  The paper is not separated or split.  It is securely fastened to the staple.  I wonder what caused a defect like that..?

On 9/9/2022 at 3:31 PM, Pukie said:

big crinkel

I missed that b/c I was gawking at the rest of the book. subtract 0.5-1.0 from my guess. It kind of looks like a scuff, but it wouldn't surprise me if graders at CGC just called it spine stress or creasing. Without examining it directly, it's hard to tell exactly what it might be. You can send it to me, and I promise I'll send it back when I'm done 🤞

Does anyone have insight as to the origin of the big crinkel at the front cover top staple?  And how it affects the grade of this book - with and without the crinkel?

It's interesting to me because it's a major trauma to the paper yet doesn't produce any perforations to the paper.  The paper is solid there.  Even more interesting because it looks flattened-out and continues under and all around the staples, yet is securely attached by the staples.  Almost like the crinkel happened ...and then it was stapled..  Could this be?

Might this be something that happened while the book was being produced?  If so, might GCG consider this a production defect and grade this defect leniently?

So again I am wondering what grade this book might get from GCG?

2.jpg

On 9/10/2022 at 7:09 AM, Pukie said:

Does anyone have insight as to the origin of the big crinkel at the front cover top staple?  And how it affects the grade of this book - with and without the crinkel?

It's interesting to me because it's a major trauma to the paper yet doesn't produce any perforations to the paper.  The paper is solid there.  Even more interesting because it looks flattened-out and continues under and all around the staples, yet is securely attached by the staples.  Almost like the crinkel happened ...and then it was stapled..  Could this be?

Might this be something that happened while the book was being produced?  If so, might GCG consider this a production defect and grade this defect leniently?

So again I am wondering what grade this book might get from GCG?

2.jpg

It could possibly be production related but I doubt it. I don’t know of any type of manufacturing defects like this.

Otherwise, this is honestly the best example I have ever seen of this book on the forums. For a square-bound book like this could easily fetch a 7.5 with a possible 8.5 as the ceiling.

On 9/10/2022 at 8:09 AM, Pukie said:

Doubtful. And typically for CGC to ignore a defect and consider it manufacturing-related, the defect needs to be common.

As sweet as this book is, I think unfortunately the technical grade would be more midgrade than high grade. My eye went right to that scrunched cover stock at the top staple; it is indeed quite an odd defect. Are you sure there's not a tear seal behind it?

Thank you for the added input.

I don't know what a tear seal looks like but the inside cover area looks like the crinkel with dust or dirt along the crinkel lines. 

I had the book since around 1975 and never touched it much or looked inside till last week.  The book feels like a new book that has never been read.  So the covers are nicely taunt to open.  I hate to stretch that out but I was able to carefully get a better view of the inside front cover with these photos.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

On 9/11/2022 at 6:54 PM, Point Five said:

As sweet as this book is, I think unfortunately the technical grade would be more midgrade than high grade. My eye went right to that scrunched cover stock at the top staple; it is indeed quite an odd defect. Are you sure there's not a tear seal behind it?

I totally agree with these statements...

I'd leave this to the restoration experts, but the blackish line that forms the outer edge of the crinkle (when viewed from the inside of the cover) looks a bit weird to me, and leads me to think that the triangular area that makes up the crinkle was torn away from the book and sealed back in place with glue or something. If that's not the case, it's possible something was dragged over that specific area which heavily abraded it.

I'd grade the book 7.0, but could see it getting 7.5...sweet book!

Oof, after @silverseeker's comments above, I took a closer look at the pics and I now believe there is ballpoint pen color touch on that torn area. See Spidey's web in the circled areas below... left side is the OP's book, right side is a scan from Heritage. On the OP's book it looks like the left edge of the web was drawn in to mask some color loss. There may be a few hits along the spine in the blue Spidey box as well.

Sadly, I think that snuffs out the (already very low) probability that the tear was some kind of production defect.

ct.thumb.png.21c25c66d948d1903991f60740a46c06.png