• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold the last of my raw books today
2 2

36 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2022 at 4:16 PM, shadroch said:

I thought I had them sold a few weeks ago, but the guy got greedy and kept wanting me to throw in more and more stuff.  At last weeks Tucson show I gave out  sheets with my inventory and today the last 20 or so raw boxes went. I was hoping he's take the 132 slabbed books but we were too far apart. I'll be shipping them to MCS over the next few weeks but may offer a few on the boards. 

As I started collecting in 1973/74, it's been a heck or a ride but it was time to let go. Once I start RVing fulltime, I'll have no room. I did keep one box, mostly Schomburg covers, and a few favorites.

When I started selling, I was hoping to get $250K for everything. Assuming the CGCs sell as anticipated, I'll be closer to 270,000.  

Nice congrats 

I thought I had them sold a few weeks ago, but the guy got greedy and kept wanting me to throw in more and more stuff.  At last weeks Tucson show I gave out  sheets with my inventory and today the last 20 or so raw boxes went. I was hoping he's take the 132 slabbed books but we were too far apart. I'll be shipping them to MCS over the next few weeks but may offer a few on the boards. 

As I started collecting in 1973/74, it's been a heck or a ride but it was time to let go. Once I start RVing fulltime, I'll have no room. I did keep one box, mostly Schomburg covers, and a few favorites.

When I started selling, I was hoping to get $250K for everything. Assuming the CGCs sell as anticipated, I'll be closer to 270,000.  

Well done

Congratulations! I'm guessing it was a tough decision. I know it will be for me when that day comes. I need to get rid of more of my books from the mid-90's to when I stopped buying new in 2014. Then I second guess myself that they might be worth something someday.... lol Maybe when Charlton Heston finds them in a cave with Dr. Zaius...

The only tough part is I sold them at a substantial discount but the alternative wasn't attractive.  Since he left, I've turned up three more boxes of raw books, nothing special but $100 a box Craigs List fodder.  The buyer got a nice deal, and I got exactly what I had determined to sell them for. I've now completely cleared out two of my bedrooms. Three more to go. He left four short boxes of tpbs behind, saying he had too many of them already. 

On 9/11/2022 at 3:41 PM, shadroch said:

The only tough part is I sold them at a substantial discount but the alternative wasn't attractive.  Since he left, I've turned up three more boxes of raw books, nothing special but $100 a box Craigs List fodder.  The buyer got a nice deal, and I got exactly what I had determined to sell them for. I've now completely cleared out two of my bedrooms. Three more to go. He left four short boxes of tpbs behind, saying he had too many of them already. 

hm :bump: Well, we're looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

On 9/11/2022 at 1:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

hm :bump: Well, we're looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

It's shaping up.  The buyer accidently took one of the four boxes I'd been throwing future free stuff in but what he left behind is far better.  I hate to disappoint people.

So when all is said and done- do you think you broke even, lost or made a profit?

On 9/11/2022 at 7:02 PM, Gregd said:

So when all is said and done- do you think you broke even, lost or made a profit?

I've done so much wheeling and dealing over the years, and trading that I can't give a definitive answer but I'd guess I did fairly well, as well as living off it..  I bought a lot of low grade SA Marvel at auction from 2008-2014 and almost all of it skyrocketed.  

On 9/11/2022 at 10:30 PM, shadroch said:

I've done so much wheeling and dealing over the years, and trading that I can't give a definitive answer but I'd guess I did fairly well, as well as living off it..  I bought a lot of low grade SA Marvel at auction from 2008-2014 and almost all of it skyrocketed.  

Good to know. While my collection would be much smaller - hopefully it can eventually support a small monthly check if needed during my retirement years. 

On 9/12/2022 at 7:23 AM, toro said:

I am downsizing too. Except it will take me years to do this.  Anything decent is getting graded, but the other raws I'm not even looking at right now.

When I started thumbing thru boxes and looking at the books not as comics but as $20 and $50 bills I decided something had to change. I'll be sending my slabs to MCS and will reinvest some of the money with them so I keep a steady stock of about two dozen books with them after my 132 slabs are history.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:50 PM, Nick Furious said:

I hope you decide to keep 5 or 10 books as memento and proof that you took the ride.  

I didn't mean to, but I found a small stash I must have set aside.    DD7, TOS49,50,55, X-Men 35, and a nice Primer 2.  It must have been a group I was planning on sending to MCS but didn't.  I also kept my almost complete Savage Tales/Savage Sword run, but that was because he wouldn't give me anywhere near what I wanted for it. 

My original books are either long gone or were mixed in with what I just sold. All my CGC books were bought, not were submissions. 

I belonged to The Wally Barham Airstream club (look it up) as a kid, actually my parents did. I was dragged to camping events every weekend in the summer. I hated it. Airstreams are so trendy now. No thanks. I did that lifestyle OG

Edited by NoMan