• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Action Comics 1 - Recreation.

29 posts in this topic

I like how he gives the lineage he could have just said he bought it from ian levine

We know it's from Ian, but the average Ebayer..... confused-smiley-013.gif

That's our own filter81. So the auction is legit. Right? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes. I'm not sure what the problem is since he spells out exactly what it is in the auction. Telling the truth is somehow an issue now?

No, it is more of a small print type of thing. Double Action Comics 1 never existed so, really should spell it out more. Though, my first post said:

I will give the guy some credit. At least he says it is a recreation.

For some reason, just seems off-putting. Now, knowing this is filter, I would have to say, I would feel at ease with this auction. Though, I wouldn't buy. Recreation is the same as a reprint and $500 for a reprint(though unique) just isn't my style.

I have seen so many people putting reprints up on ebay as originals. It really drives me a little screwy.gif

No, it is more of a small print type of thing. Double Action Comics 1 never existed so, really should spell it out more. Though, my first post said:

I will give the guy some credit. At least he says it is a recreation.

For some reason, just seems off-putting. Now, knowing this is filter, I would have to say, I would feel at ease with this auction. Though, I wouldn't buy. Recreation is the same as a reprint and $500 for a reprint(though unique) just isn't my style.

I have seen so many people putting reprints up on ebay as originals. It really drives me a little screwy.gif

But it would go so nicely with your imaginary Double Action #2. poke2.gif

I have to say I'm tempted. Hopefully someone will hit the BIN soon so I can stop being tempted.

juggle.gif

Double Action Comics 1 never existed so, really should spell it out more.

Are you sure Double Action Comics 1 never existed? I'm not an expert on the book or anything. (I just like Dr. occult and thought this would be a cool book to have) But I made sure to get details about the book when I bought it and did some research on the internet and in Overstreet before listing the auction. I was under the impression that the book did exist in at least some sort of limited newsstand distribution. (I got that right out of the Overstreet)

If I'm wrong please let me know and I'll make the appropriate changes to the auction. I tried my best to keep the auction 100% accurate.

By the way, I'm sorry you didn't care for the wording of the auction. I tried to keep the auction text as short as possible so nothing would get buried 15 paragraphs down. And I tried my best to explain what the book is as clearly as I could confused-smiley-013.gif

My apologies, if it seems that I am raggin on you. Actually, I took "none known to survive" to mean never existed. My mistake. Sorry, again for any inconvenience this might have caused.

No apologies necessary. Actually, since this is a fixed priced listing and no bids can be placed, I can make changes to the text of the auction at any time. So if anything needs to be edited all it takes is a few seconds. I was just wondering if you knew something about the publication of the book that I didn't, which is very possible since I didn't know anything about the book until I read about it in these forums last year.

By the way are you still looking for Plastic Mans and Captain Marvel comics? If so I've got a short stack of Mile Highs from each of these titles. If you're interested feel free to send me a PM or something flowerred.gif

What is in the INTERIOR of this book?? Also, is the cover a Xerox?

I am VERY interested in it, but need some details as per my above inquiry if I am to hit the BIN

Thanks for the interest. I don't know all the specifics about how the book was created. However, I believe the covers were recreated from scratch rather than xeroxed. (There are no known copies of this book to xerox the cover from. I'm not sure how Ian & Matt knew that this is what the front cover looks like but from what I understand a considerable amount of research was done.) The interior covers have also been recreated, including all the copyright information at the bottom of the interior front cover. If you'd like me to find out for sure how the book was created I would be happy to try to do so.

The interior of the book is comprised of 76 pages of Black and White reprints of early Dr. Occult stories. The interior pages look more like computer paper than comic book paper.

I will say the cover on it is quite interesting. Since Double Action Comics #2 was pulled from Adventure Comics #37 was #1 pulled from another existing cover?

From the Double Action 1 thread...

"The Action 1 ashcan has a hooded guy with a knife on the cover. It also exists in color as a unused color cover for Detective 3."

From the Gerber 11 thread...

725730-det2.jpg

729655-d1.jpg

729684-d12.jpg

All courtesy of Rip.

So, the gist of it is that Double Action Comics 1 does exist but its existence controversial in its provenance. Interesting. That cover doesn't seem to be reprinted anywhere. If Flessel is still alive and had done that cover, someone might be able to confirm with the him, if the book was made. I would think the cover artist could ID his own work. Knowing of Matt and Ian, I would suspect they confirmed it this way, as well.

I'm not sure where Ian and Matt got their information from, but that cover is pure fantasy. It is not even close to any other Pre-Hero DC cover, and it is way too pre-code horrorish to be DC in 1937. No offense Filter, but you might want to consider clarifying your auction to state this.

I'm not sure where Ian and Matt got their information from, but that cover is pure fantasy. It is not even close to any other Pre-Hero DC cover, and it is way too pre-code horrorish to be DC in 1937. No offense Filter, but you might want to consider clarifying your auction to state this.

Didn't the pulps have horror covers like that in the 1930's? confused-smiley-013.gif