• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First & Lr ast Submission to CGC
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I basically only collect graded comics. Not worth the hassle to have them graded and it's just a spoon shoot. However, I did submit my one and only comic last year to give it a shot. Thought it was a great candidate for a 9.8. It came back a 9.6. Very disappointed. I know everyone thinks their book is a 9.8, but this one looks better than many 9.8s I have no idea what's wrong with this book. Anyway, that's the last time I submit raw books. Gave it a shot, didn't work. Figure they save their 9.8s for their major submitters.

wolverine 1.jpg

wolverine 2.jpg

It can be quite disheartening. Between the mylar, the sleeve and the slab, any single imperfection that might reduce a 9.8 to a 9.6 will be hidden. It does look like there's a hint of colour rub on the front cover, near spiderman's head but that might just be the photo. In general I always think: every buyer of slabs wants a harshly graded 9.8, and every person who submits a book for grading wants a 9.6 pushed into a 9.8.

Thanks for the feedback. There is no color rub on the cover, especially near spider-man's head. I have this same book in a 9.8 and this copy looks better. Either way, I'll stick to buying already graded books. Unfortunately, I do not believe CGC to be impartial graders. They know the values of grades they assign and adjust grades accordingly. This book is flawless. Even if it had a color rub, which it doesn't, still should be 9.8. 

On 9/18/2022 at 8:26 PM, Homeboy32 said:

Thanks. Not only that, but the book is somewhat loose and can move around. Finally, the slab has a small crack in it. Anyway, it is what it is. I'll stick to buying already graded comics.

If the slab has a crack on it, they will fix that pro bono if you call about it

As for how they grade, everyone has their own opinions. I've seen new collectors send in books and get 9.8 and I have seen CGC authorized dealers send in 50 books for 9.8 pre screen and they only get back slightly more than half (so your theory of them favoring people might be a bit tinfoil hat).

It would be great to see a brief note as to what kept it from 9.8 but then you are adding that bit of time for data entry which would delay CGC even worse than they already are. From experience, the problems lie in the spine and corners...anything slight and it won't it 9.8. After that, if the interior page edges are also showing any flaws (bad production holes/rips along the bottom as seen in many comics from this era), you can kiss the 9.8 goodbye.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:30 PM, SNiPER said:

That backcover is notorious for leaving the slightest finger prints🤔

YES! Mine def has two

Basically, when going for a 9.8, one can probably inspect front and back cover and spine and have a better than 50% success rate (higher depending on how well you grade)

But if you don't hold the book in proper lighting, if you don't examine it close up with slight magnification, if you don't feel the book and if you don't examine the interior pages well...your chances of getting the legit 9.8 drop. I'm not saying even CGC has a handle on this (and Thor knows they probably cut corners or have graders who do or are rushed or whatever) but I am saying that as collectors, we should never assume we have a 9.8. It is just a bad mentality to have and likely means you care more about perfection than the actual comic which saddens me.

Personally, I love all 9.6s. They look amazing. Like new. Perfect....and cheaper too thanks to the market! What is not to love :x

CGC is very harsh on "rubs" and color loss.  The technical grades they assign at times do not seem congruent as an example if there is a tiny tear or color loss on the spine especially top corners of spine then it's ok...? They also seem to be more lenient on spine ticks/hits/etc  than I am.  I am an ultra strict grader in my raw days I was the type dealers and LCS owners hated!

I now have a fair idea of what to expect but of course it's a moving target that changes every few years.  The last submission I received back was 14 1970's and 1980's books. 12 of the 14 I got exactly grade I expected, 1 was .2 higher, 1 was .2 lower, although those 2 books could have gone in either direction and I did get the higher grade on the book with higher current FMV.

I've also learned it seems to work out when I mix in one or 2  9.2 or 9.4 candidates in with my estimated 9.8 multi-book submissions as CGC seem hesitant to assign every book in an order the "hallowed" 9.8. 

Edited by MAR1979