• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mailing comics to CGC and insurance
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi , 

I shipped my first comics to CGC like 8 month ago and had no problems . Used UPS Priority Mail . 

I am going to be submitting a larger, higher value shipment . 

Should I insure the books ? Does cgc automatically have a type of insurance that protects them after I have paid for the specific books to be graded  ? 

Am I the only one who gets nervous about shipping? 

Thanks 

On 9/22/2022 at 4:12 PM, Corallas said:

Hi , 

I shipped my first comics to CGC like 8 month ago and had no problems . Used UPS Priority Mail . 

I am going to be submitting a larger, higher value shipment . 

Should I insure the books ? Does cgc automatically have a type of insurance that protects them after I have paid for the specific books to be graded  ? 

Am I the only one who gets nervous about shipping? 

Thanks 

You should insure the books when shipping to CGC.

Via the Declared Value on the CGC submission form, that will be used to calculate shipping from CGC, which you pay for as well. While potentially hard to determine, the Declared Value should be the value of the book *after* grading for maximum protection. So if your raw Modern book is $10, but $200 in a 9.8 (and you believe it's a 9.8), Declare it for $200.

I assume CGC has insurance for when the books are in their possession, but I don't have specifics.

On 9/22/2022 at 5:51 PM, manetteska said:

You should insure the books when shipping to CGC.

Via the Declared Value on the CGC submission form, that will be used to calculate shipping from CGC, which you pay for as well. While potentially hard to determine, the Declared Value should be the value of the book *after* grading for maximum protection. So if your raw Modern book is $10, but $200 in a 9.8 (and you believe it's a 9.8), Declare it for $200.

I assume CGC has insurance for when the books are in their possession, but I don't have specifics.

Ahhhh ok . 

I was unclear as to whether the value you declare them for covers you for that value when shiupping them . 

It’s up to you to declare the value when shipping. CGC determines what the book is worth by the value you put on the submission form. I have seen some of my customers put $20 down on a $200 book to save on return shipping. 

If the book gets damaged by CGC you would get $20.00. Same is true with Any of the carriers. Personally, I max out the insurance for each tier. 

I always pay for insurance. I've never needed it. That's a good thing, but it's getting to the point where I tell myself "This is a waste of money." Of course, you know what's going to happen the first time I don't get it.

Also, I've heard (no personal experience) that getting the USPS to cover for lost/stolen collectables is difficult (even though you had insurance).

Also, I'm a little cloudy right now (no coffee yet). I assumed you were talking about getting insurance for when you shipped them *to* CGC.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:10 AM, joeypost said:

It’s up to you to declare the value when shipping. CGC determines what the book is worth by the value you put on the submission form. I have seen some of my customers put $20 down on a $200 book to save on return shipping. 

If the book gets damaged by CGC you would get $20.00. Same is true with Any of the carriers. Personally, I max out the insurance for each tier. 

Didnt realize the value you put down was what they insured it for when shipping back to you and that this would cost you more but yes 

the drawback is if their is a problem you only get reimbursed for next to nothing . 

Does make sense to max out the tier if you want to cover your bases . 

I wonder what percentage of packages overall get lost or damaged . 

Edited by Corallas

On 9/23/2022 at 8:35 AM, Gaard said:

I always pay for insurance. I've never needed it. That's a good thing, but it's getting to the point where I tell myself "This is a waste of money." Of course, you know what's going to happen the first time I don't get it.

Also, I've heard (no personal experience) that getting the USPS to cover for lost/stolen collectables is difficult (even though you had insurance).

Also, I'm a little cloudy right now (no coffee yet). I assumed you were talking about getting insurance for when you shipped them *to* CGC.

Yes was talking about insurance from the intitial shipment but have not considered some of the issues other posters have raised . 

It's unfortunate that insurance is even needed at all seeing one is paying to have something arrive safely . 

Even worse that it is difficult to get reimbursed even with insurance . 

Have you ever researched or used UPS or FedEx? 

I've never used UPS or FedEx to ship to CGC. I should probably look into it, but I like the convenience of using USPS. The mail gets picked up daily at my work, so I just put my package on the mail cart.

On 9/23/2022 at 6:30 PM, Gaard said:

I've never used UPS or FedEx to ship to CGC. I should probably look into it, but I like the convenience of using USPS. The mail gets picked up daily at my work, so I just put my package on the mail cart.

Yes USPS is very easy, especially if you own a scale and use a shipping service online which is even cheaper . 

Free Priority Mal boxes , Weigh, Print out a label , drop it off .