• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurricane Ian
3 3

82 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2022 at 8:03 AM, joeypost said:

I didn’t think we had too much wind this storm, but we had tons of old growth oak go down all over the place. Granted, there could have been isolated gusts or even small tornadoes, but trees we have admired for the past two years as we drove by them are now gone. 

The 2017 storm left us without power for 9 days. We had duke and felt they were the worst when it came to repairs. They must have made major upgrades to the old grid we lived in, as no one in that community lost power this storm. 

Thankfully, Andrew spared two, at that time, approximately, 35 to 40 foot Black Olive trees that sit in front of our house in Miami as they each only lost a few limbs. I was down there six months ago to check the house; my sister lives a few blocks from it and visits it a few times a week; and the trees look great and, of course, much taller. Unfortunately, if you don't take care of your car's finish a Black Olive will stain it and, possibly, eat it away much more than, for example, a Live Oak. Andrew did severely damage every other plant on the property. However, none were lost and, being south Florida, they were back to full size and/or covered in foliage in about six months.

Regrettably, Andrew did down a great many trees in the area, including large Black Olives, Live Oaks, Banyan (both Fig and Ficus) Trees, and Dade County Pine that were old (50, 100, 150 years old and, some, likely [much] older), large, and beautiful. The number of missing trees made the place look strange, and it still does in that respect. (Edit: added a period) Many trees have been planted in the 30 years since Andrew and some are quite tall. Unfortunately, in my lifetime it is not possible to replace a Live Oak, for example, that was in place for 100 years with a new one since they are relatively slow growing oaks and I'll be long dead before it reaches its full majesty.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Added a period.