• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New and Improved FedEx/CGC Shipping Connection? In a Word... Meh.

24 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2022 at 9:11 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

A brief tale told by an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, full of sound (but not fury), signifying nothing - other than caution.

After many months of lounging at home with no deliveries, I started travels on a three week vacation.  This of course was the precise moment FedEx sends a couple of emails stating that two packages are en route from CGC.  I always leave a succinct, boldly typed sheet on my front door (hidden from street view so as not to invite pilferers) asking USPS/UPS/FedEx packages be delivered to my neighbors a couple of doors down with the appropriate name and address and have never had a problem.  Still, I followed the links and attempted to stall delivery but "shipper does not allow this change to shipment" (paraphrasing).  I tried to change delivery address, same result.  I tried to have it held at a FedEx facility, same result.  Actually any attempted change, despite continued friendly FedEx messages encouraging me to customize my delivery, were met with the same result.  I then logged to my account and placed a "Vacation Hold" status on all deliveries (maximum time allowed was three weeks) and held my breath, which turned out to be just as useful.  While overseas, I could only helplessly watch as delivery attempt after delivery attempt was made, with dutiful emails letting me know another attempt would be scheduled.  After all the requisite attempts were made (unsurprisingly unsuccessful), the last email informed me the shipper would be contacted for further instructions.

When I got back, I immediately contacted FedEx who would not allow a re-delivery or for me to pick up the packages at their facility because "shipper does not allow this change to shipment."  They suggested I contact CGC, which I had to do via email as - Sockamagee! - it was late Friday and there was no one to answer a phone for the W/E.  Though the email was dutifully sent, the next day I got a notification from FedEx helpfully telling me that the packages were going to be sent back to the shipper.   I again called FedEx and re-told the story, ending with “let’s wait to hear from the shipper…  you know, the one you told me to contact.”  This representative seemed more open to the idea of sending the packages to a FedEx facility for me to pick up, though he would have to contact the “central facility” where they were actually being held and talk to a manager to see if such a thing could be done(!).  While he graciously suggested some pick-up locations that were 500, then 600 miles away, I boldly suggested that a facility somewhat closer to the actual delivery zip code, say 20 blocks from my house, might even be better.

Two days later I got an email from FedEx telling me the packages had arrived at the facility so I raced down there Quicksilver-like, only to be told by the two representatives manning the counter that tracking numbers showed they had been delivered to my house.  Having been there myself, I assured them that hadn’t happened.  Then they regrouped and told me there was no way the packages could have been delivered to them because that facility was only for shipping, while ground P/U were always sent to Facility B.  I then showed them the email from FedEx which printed out the address of the facility where they had been delivered (that is to say…RIGHT THERE).  Since this contradicted the tracking number information, I had now successfully stumped the band (What do I win, Johnny?).  At this point, one of these gifted whiz kids – and I swear I’m not making this up – turned her head to the left, looked at a corner on the floor behind the counter, and said:  “Oh… are these the ones?”  I tried not to be overtly grabby as they handed them to me, then I asked if they needed to see some ID or maybe even have to sign for them since they might, you know, have something of value.  They waved me away, saying that the packages weren’t even supposed to be there so there was no record in their system that needed me to confirm delivery.  Whew!  I don’t know why I was even worried after all that crack security exhibited from beginning to end by this Distributing Dynamo!  If I ever get a response back from CGC (still waiting) I'll be sure to let them know that everyone's books are in safe hands with these guys on the job!

Well, it turned out the story was not brief, but I still contend it to be cautionary.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10535/cgc-comic-shipping/

Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) is pleased to announce an update to the online submission form that enables submitters to prepay for shipping and print a shipping label, making it more convenient to send comics, magazines and posters to CGC for grading. The updated form is now accessible at CGCcomics.com, beginning on October 18, 2022.

CGC is investing in the collecting hobby and delivering services that make the collector experience better, including industry-leading digital tools. With this update, CGC listened to submitter feedback regarding how the submission process could be made simpler and faster.

How to choose a shipping method

After you’ve entered your order using the CGC Comics / Magazines or Posters online submission form , you’ll see the option to “Choose Shipping Method”. Click the button, and from there, select the number of boxes you’ll be sending in the “Prepay with FedEx and Save” option. FedEx Ground shipping is $14 per box for up to 25 books or magazines, and $20 per box for up to 10 posters. FedEx Standard Overnight shipping is $45 per box for up to 25 books or magazines, and $55 per box for up to 10 posters.

Once you finish your submission, you’ll see “Print Packing Slip & Shipping Label” on the order success page. Print these, pack your collectibles in the order that they appear on your packing list, adhere the shipping label to your box and you’re ready to send!

You can drop off your package at a FedEx drop-off location. To find a drop-off location near you, click here.

I just have them deliver to my local Walgreens.  I never know when I am going to be home.  They get it and sign for it.  I get a message from FedEx that it is at Walgreens I go and pick it up.  Easy peasy.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:56 AM, toro said:

I just have them deliver to my local Walgreens.  I never know when I am going to be home.  They get it and sign for it.  I get a message from FedEx that it is at Walgreens I go and pick it up.  Easy peasy.

Do you have your address set for Walgreens?  I attempted to have them reroute it to a nearby FedEx Office (Kinkos) location, but did not have that option under "manage delivery."

"Due to shipper restrictions, additional delivery options are not available for this shipment. For more information please contact the shipper." 

On 10/19/2022 at 12:07 PM, wardevil0 said:

Do you have your address set for Walgreens?  I attempted to have them reroute it to a nearby FedEx Office (Kinkos) location, but did not have that option under "manage delivery."

"Due to shipper restrictions, additional delivery options are not available for this shipment. For more information please contact the shipper." 

You set it when you put in the order into CGC, once shipped you can't change it.