• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Mysterious Adventures #18 - Grade Back - Updated
2 2

15 posts in this topic

OK, I just went off the deep end and purchased this book due to the rarity and the historical significance of it being used in the 1954 US Senate Investigative report when Congress was investigating the causes of juvenile delinquency. Kids reading comic books was considered (by some) to be a major factor in juvenile delinquency back in the day. This led to public burnings of comic books.

It is in really rough condition as the cover is completely detached. The cover has significant 1 inch splits at the top and bottom of the spine. The staples have some rust. The book has some staining due to water/moisture damage. Even with all these bad defects, the comic still presents better than one would think. The book is complete. I am hoping (wishing) somehow it may get a 1.0. How many would get this graded? All thoughts and comments are always greatly appreciated! 

ma1.jpg

ma2.jpg

ma3.jpg

ma4.jpg

ma5.jpg

ma6.jpg

Edited by O Doyle Rules

Great issue! I love this one too. It's complete and presents well so you'll clear the 1.0 bar with no problem. I'd say it's right on the edge of 1.8/2.0 due to the paper loss... I'd give it the nudge to 2.0 based on eye appeal. Nice one!

I appreciate all the confirmation that this book is in the 2.0 range. I think my reluctance is due to the fact I submitted a FF #49 with a detached cover and significant spine splits. It came back with a .5. The notes indicated that the spine was split entirely. ( Definitely note the case when submitted) I feel the FF # 49 should have least got a 1.0 as I generally thought a .5 is reserved for incomplete books.

On 1/22/2023 at 11:22 AM, 1950's war comics said:

i got a bullseye on the grade !! and i bet it looks nice in the CGC case !

I love it! Because of this book I got a fever about looking to purchase comics that was used in the Senate investigation and I have my eye on one. 

I did a search but did not come up with anything - Is there a complete list of the comics that were used in the Senate investigation?