• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about the rust staples.
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I've worked with thousands of comic books. However, this is the first time I have held it. I recall someone mentioning the piece, but I cannot locate it. What do you name this circumstance involving rusty staples?

When I opened the package and examined the comic books, specifically ASM 328, I saw that the staples were rusted. Determine, upon additional investigation, if the water damage is the cause of the rusty staples. The copy felt clean and flat, without any indication of wavering or water damage. Additionally, there are no stains, particularly around the internal staples, as there are no other indications of water damage other than the staples. In this instance, I concluded that the staples were corroded prior to binding the comic book.

I have included images of both the exterior and interior corroded staples. This copy is more likely to be qualified as opposed to universal. However, I would like to know how this case is classified. Thank you. 

IMG_3531.thumb.jpg.72a80c9e4a5b2bc78d068b2234fd8ad2.jpgIMG_3532.thumb.jpg.eefdc2686dbcf27a945c54d52dafea83.jpgIMG_3533.thumb.jpg.83dc556484b7743c3a1872624609a366.jpgIMG_3534.thumb.jpg.b08428ce6b397bb72082c50904bc9ee4.jpg

It looks like the staples in question have developed both white rust (zinc hydroxide) and brown rust (iron oxide).  I would characterize the level of rust as light/slight (which explains why there hasn't yet been staining to the adjacent paper).  Rust results from exposure to moisture -- either free water (such as a spill) or water vapor (aka humidity).  Since the cover has no cockling, rippling, or obvious tidelines, it's reasonable to conclude that water vapor (humidity) is most likely to blame here. 

To the best of my knowledge, CGC has never awarded a book a Qualified Grade because of rust.  And I strongly doubt that CGC would treat this as a production defect.  :foryou:

According to your definition of "humidity," Could it be a result of poor pressing?

Before pressing, the service utilizes water vapor to soften the pages. (Some pressing companies emphasize that the method is allowed, although a poor job could destroy the copy.)

On 10/13/2022 at 1:13 PM, Aslpride8 said:

Could it be a result of poor pressing?

Look at those surface irregularities on the front cover side of both staples.  :whatthe:  If this book was pressed, it was one of the most pi$$-poor jobs I have ever seen.  :facepalm:

R1.jpg.86453d37e5ee70a1c24b68d35d380ae5.jpg  R2.jpg.316aa5e2f2ab4f33d8e8aa92f2e13483.jpg

On 10/13/2022 at 3:13 PM, Aslpride8 said:

I concluded that the staples were corroded prior to binding the comic book.

Interesting. 

Staples can rust without paper damage. Metal doesn't like moisture. Paper used to be living so it can handle and even use some humidity. Rust has nothing to do with qualified label. Will just effect the universal grade. Personally I would just find another better copy and not worry about it. Not worth replacing staples unless it's a 5 figure book. Not worth grading a book with rusted staples and spine tic.