• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Policy on Re-reviewed Ewert Books

15 posts in this topic

Following board member Paperheart`s report in the "CGC 3, Ewert 0" thread that he had submitted 3 known Ewert books to CGC to re-review for trimming and had received a clean bill of health on all of them, but that the serial numbers stayed the same and the documentation from CGC as to the clean bill of health was loose at best, I sent an email to Steve Borock voicing my concern at how easy it would be manipulate the documentation and suggesting some alternatives to tighten it up.

Steve promptly replied thumbsup2.gif and authorized me to post his response on these boards, so here it is:

Tim-

Thanks for the email.

You are correct. This is the first time we have had to deal with something like this, and we did not have a pre-arranged service tier. From now on, we will be handling these books as regrades, and any comic book that gets a "clean bill of health" from us when checking for possible trimming will receive a new certification number and be returned to the submitter. Any comic book that trimming has been

detected on, will not get a new certification number, as either Tom Brulato or CGC will be buying it back. We will not be issuing secondary certificates in addition to the CGC certification.

Hope all is well with you.

Best,

Steve

" From now on"? How many have they re-graded until "now:"?

Jim

I had the same question, and sent him a follow-up email with the following questions:

1. What will happen to any books that are purchased back by CGC or Tom Brulato?

2. Will CGC update us periodically on how many Ewert books have been resubbed, and how many have turned out to be trimmed?

3. If you actually have any figures for the above question already, it would be great if you could share them with us.

The response from him was basically they are still thinking these issues through. I urged him to provide as much information as possible, because it was important for CGC to appear pro-active in addressing the concerns of the community, and recommended that they give us periodic updates on #3.

" From now on"? How many have they re-graded until "now:"?

Jim

I had the same question, and sent him a follow-up email with the following questions:

1. What will happen to any books that are purchased back by CGC or Tom Brulato?

2. Will CGC update us periodically on how many Ewert books have been resubbed, and how many have turned out to be trimmed?

3. If you actually have any figures for the above question already, it would be great if you could share them with us.

The response from him was basically they are still thinking these issues through. I urged him to provide as much information as possible, because it was important for CGC to appear pro-active in addressing the concerns of the community, and recommended that they give us periodic updates on #3.

I'm sorry...but these issues should have been addressed from the get-go. I understand that, maybe, this is a unique situation but a firm plan should have been developed to address it. A plan developed with the collector's interest in mind...

Thus the life of those working issues in a vacuum...

Jim

but really though Jim, think about it. From the day that CGC regrade offer was posted re the ewert books, I don't recall a massive movement on the boards from members saying they were going to be sending their books in; not many saying they had ewert books still in their possession as a matter of fact.

Paperheart was nice enough to share with us his results. But maybe other folks havent shared because it might not be worth the hassle for many folks and also to tempt the SCS gods to afflict their books in transit.

how many really could have been "regraded" in the sort span of time, given the limited audience the announcement could have hit

Well Darth...it's my understanding they've re-evaluated a couple hundred Ewert subs. I could be wrong but it could be quickly discounted by CGC...

Jim

in the mess of threads, now that you mention it, I recall what you are saying. But I think that statement regarding re-evaluating a couple hundred applied to Ewert subs that were already in house but had not quite made it to the QC stage at the time of Ewert getting caught

Well Darth...it's my understanding they've re-evaluated a couple hundred Ewert subs. I could be wrong but it could be quickly discounted by CGC...

Jim

in the mess of threads, now that you mention it, I recall what you are saying. But I think that statement regarding re-evaluating a couple hundred applied to Ewert subs that were already in house but had not quite made it to the QC stage at the time of Ewert getting caught

Maybe,,,but it's my understanding they've gotten a siginificant number, more than a few, for re-evaluation. that weren't in the pipeline...

I'm waiting to be corrected though...

Jim

Following board member Paperheart`s report in the "CGC 3, Ewert 0" thread that he had submitted 3 known Ewert books to CGC to re-review for trimming and had received a clean bill of health on all of them, but that the serial numbers stayed the same and the documentation from CGC as to the clean bill of health was loose at best, I sent an email to Steve Borock voicing my concern at how easy it would be manipulate the documentation and suggesting some alternatives to tighten it up.

Steve promptly replied thumbsup2.gif and authorized me to post his response on these boards, so here it is:

Tim-

Thanks for the email.

You are correct. This is the first time we have had to deal with something like this, and we did not have a pre-arranged service tier. From now on, we will be handling these books as regrades, and any comic book that gets a "clean bill of health" from us when checking for possible trimming will receive a new certification number and be returned to the submitter. Any comic book that trimming has been

detected on, will not get a new certification number, as either Tom Brulato or CGC will be buying it back. We will not be issuing secondary certificates in addition to the CGC certification.

Best,

Steve

As it should be...thanks for the update Tim. thumbsup2.gif

Tim-

Thanks for the email.

Best,

Steve

Christo_pull_hair.gif Now i need to resubmit my already resubmitted to get a true clean bill of health.