• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MODERN/ IMPRESSIONIST RESULTS,...November 1 - CHRISTIES

120 posts in this topic

We already had this debate,...'Is OA fine art or not ?',...I won.

Whatever, DESTRO. screwy.gif Keep pumping so you can do some dumping. 893naughty-thumb.gif

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY !!!!

That's rich coming from a guy whose art collection is stolen property. 27_laughing.gif

Whatever, DESTRO. screwy.gif Keep pumping so you can do some dumping. 893naughty-thumb.gif

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

That's rich coming from a guy whose art collection is stolen property. 27_laughing.gif

Err,....I dont see the connection between "Personal Responsibility"

AND

your erroneous belief that certain art is stolen (even though no one can produce evidence to support that claim) confused-smiley-013.gif ?

KK

AND

your erroneous belief that certain art is stolen

You wouldn't. screwy.gif

It doesn't mean s_h_i_t to scholars or the art world in general.

Take a look at the cover article in this month's ARTNews. I'm not saying comic art is the next big thing in the fine art world, but a cover article about the lack of women comic artists that name checks Herriman, Kirby, et al. proves that the above characterization is not entirely true. They're starting to care.

Take a look at the cover article in this month's ARTNews. I'm not saying comic art is the next big thing in the fine art world, but a cover article about the lack of women comic artists that name checks Herriman, Kirby, et al. proves that the above characterization is not entirely true. They're starting to care.

As surely as the moon follows the sun, the masses will begin to realize that OA is true art. OA captures the Zeitgeist of the time. The powerful TOKENS within the text (comic books) are an excellent means to further expand upon the narrative.

There was a brilliant segment on CBS this morning regarding Andy Warhol's ideas about art. Warhol and his Brillo Boxes, Coca-Cola Bottles, Marilyn Monroes, and Time Capsule exhibits.

Perhaps, Warhols 15 minutes of fame are over???

Perhaps it is just beginning???

Spiderman has more time than 15 minutes. I GUARANTEE you that.

He is an icon.

Batman, Superman, and Thor are American Gods.

Tokens within the text to further draw out the narrative.

The dialectic continues. Art continues to blossom. The very definition of "art" blooms.

some people should come to europe to see that's been some decades that this form of art has an established place inside the society cultural activities/existence!!!

Moebius and Myazacki exibition at different prstigious museums

Bilal great exibition at paris townhall

and several hundred yearly different cultural manifestations!!!

i attended some years ago one major selling event of european OA and other several other related items, and it was impressive (money, cultural value, social event wise)!!!

regards

Slow month at ARTNews, I'm afraid. The article takes about 90 seconds to read (less than 2 full pages of text) and is more of a feminist rant ("Who Are the Great Women Comic-Book Artists?" is the name of the piece) than anything else.

I think paull's comment is certainly still representative of the feeling of "the art world in general", as he said. Of course no one is going to bad-mouth Charles Schulz or Jack Kirby. They were both very talented creator-artists and people who are aware of them will speak of them with respect. However, that doesn't mean that they consider comic art to be worthy of the research, analysis, scholarly debate and exorbitant market value of paintings, sculpture or other fine art.

By the way, ARTNews did a big cover story on R. Crumb a year or two ago. Does anyone know if that did anything for Crumb originals? Did anyone who was not already a Crumb collector start buying them? confused-smiley-013.gif

Slow month at ARTNews, I'm afraid. The article takes about 90 seconds to read (less than 2 full pages of text) and is more of a feminist rant ("Who Are the Great Women Comic-Book Artists?" is the name of the piece) than anything else.

I think paull's comment is certainly still representative of the feeling of "the art world in general", as he said. Of course no one is going to bad-mouth Charles Schulz or Jack Kirby. They were both very talented creator-artists and people who are aware of them will speak of them with respect. However, that doesn't mean that they consider comic art to be worthy of the research, analysis, scholarly debate and exorbitant market value of paintings, sculpture or other fine art.

By the way, ARTNews did a big cover story on R. Crumb a year or two ago. Does anyone know if that did anything for Crumb originals? Did anyone who was not already a Crumb collector start buying them? confused-smiley-013.gif

I would imagine Crumb's work has gone up. As exposure facilitates DEMAND.

AND

your erroneous belief that certain art is stolen (even though no one can produce evidence to support that claim) confused-smiley-013.gif ?

KK

And you've produced no evidence that you own one single piece of artwork....

For one thing, I'd not characterize the tone of the piece the same way you would. It's a valid question to ask and for what it was it did a fair job of peeking at the issue. Secondly, it's very inclusion (on the cover no less), no matter what way you want to characterize the story it signifies that there IS some interest in the "real" art world for comic art. However you want to cast that interest is up to you (same goes for anyone on the other side of the argument- play it to the hilt for all I care.)

Like I said, I'm not arguing for it as the "next big thing" in the fine art world. To tell the truth I'm on the ground in galleries, at open studios, local auctions (at Road Show regular Skinner) and at shows (the past two weekends I went to the Boston International Fine Art Show and the Ellis Antiques Show respectively) and I DON'T see comic art represented. I've seen ONE strip stuck in a stack of illustration art at a general Skinner sale last year and that's about all I can recall. So, if it is going to be the next big thing it sure hasn't taken hold around here.

For the sake of signal to noise, can we drop that part of the "get KK" movement? Flame him all you want for other things (he obviously provides a lot of ammunition), but unless he's proved not to be Brad Savage (and this is therefore all an elaborate double switch trolling ruse) he's got a significant collection.

For the sake of signal to noise, can we drop that part of the "get KK" movement? Flame him all you want for other things (he obviously provides a lot of ammunition), but unless he's proved not to be Brad Savage (and this is therefore all an elaborate double switch trolling ruse) he's got a significant collection.

I don't really care who he is. However, can you prove the he's Brad Savage and currently owns the cover to AF #15, Avengers #4, Captain America #1 like he's stated (several times) he does? If you can, let's hear it and I'll drop it.

I don't really care who he is. However, can you prove the he's Brad Savage and currently owns the cover to AF #15, Avengers #4, Captain America #1 like he's stated (several times) he does? If you can, let's hear it and I'll drop it.

So thats your glitch with me ??? Merely that I havent proved to YOUR SATISFACTION who I am ??? To such a degree that you'd let it go if you found I that I am a particular person with a particular collection. You ARE an arsehole PUNK.

KK

We went through this in a big [embarrassing lack of self control] thread a couple of months ago. Gene figured it out and posted about it in one of the many flame war threads surrounding KK ("Hey Krazy Troll", maybe?)

As for what he owns, I don't personally talk out of school, so there's no way in hell I'll publicly post about what I know to be in his collection, but I will mention at least one reasonably public transaction that was cited by action1kid in another thread in the past week or two. Brad purchased the cover to Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 from Sotheby's for 23k about a decade ago. Good enough?

Newsflash #2: No one outside of the comics world views comic book production art as ART. Collectors of contemporary art would look at original pages of art and wonder why they are worth so much money. "What about the white-out?" and "Why the messy pencils and stains?" are what you'd hear.

Sorry, pal, you can talk up your collection all you want, but the rest of the world doesn't give a s_h_i_t.

As for Crumb, the reason he is getting all this publicity now has a lot to with the documentary by Terry Zwigoff released in 1995. There has been an article in major art mags a few times a year since then.

Let me ask you a question: when the recent Spider-Man and Batman films were released, did you find anything in a major art magazine that talked at length (not just a mention) about Kane, Robinson, Ditko, Lee or Kirby in conjunction with those films? How much more exposure can either character get? You think the art world is suddenly going to wake up and realize what a treasure trove OA art is? No f-u-c-king way. Fine art galleries almost certainly look at OA as overpriced, poor condition illustrations that art collectors don't and wouldn't care about. $500,000 for a fingerprint-smudged, blue-pencilled, ragged-edged drawing of Spider-Man? Try that with a major gallery and they'll laugh in your face.

OA appeals to a small portion of the comic collecting world, and a dwindling one at that.

take that! KK!!

though Im confident it didnt even scratch your confidence.

And whiel I read the thread where KK was outed as Brad, He's sounding more and more Hammerlike lately, threatening, calling people names etc. I know Hammer "claims" he is both KK and Abrams, but Im sure he's kidding and only teasing those here who have accused him of same.

but... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmmm

The Batman,Spider-man,X-Men movies may not prove to you right now that anybody is taking notice,but it is definitely going to help in the long run. Forever people outside of this community have looked at it as a whole nerd world. But as these movies are released,and get critical acclaim,it just brings more people and money to this hobby.Not only the movies,but alot of the current mainstream comics are so well written that people are coming to realise that comics aren't just for kids.

500K for Silver Age covers? I believe there are a few...AF15,FF1,ASM1,XMEN1. These characters are gods as KK stated. They are huge money making properties, and I know if I had unlimited funds,I would buy any of those pieces for 500K.And definitely 1 mil & up for GA stuff like Batman 1 Superman 1,etc...

10 years ago people thought $175K for Honus Wagner baseball card was ridiculous...now it's 1.5 Mil.

It's buying time for this stuff,and those that can afford to get it and sit on it,will make out like nobody's business.