• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mazzucchelli Batman Year One storyline pt 2 cover

26 posts in this topic

I hate how he conducts his auctions!

Why? I'm assuming it's because you don't know what the high bid is?

But really, with a starting bid of $12,000 - does it really matter? Just bid a little higher - it's just ten more years of being in debt. wink.gif

An iconic piece. Cool to see the original.

http://www.theartistschoice.com/mazzba.html

Sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about the artist in question. I've looked at the ebay link. The art looks competent, but doesn't strike me as being worth $12k-plus . . . or grail-territory. Can someone kindly update me as to the significance of this piece?

Not criticizing . . . just curious. confused.gif

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

It is out of the batman year one series that was written by frank miller. It was a very important series a section of the batman begins movie was based on the series plus this art never comes up for sale. In this particular case the price is probably based more on the importance of the work and not the importance of the artist. 12,000 seems alittle steep to me though I was thinking 5 to 8 K seemed more in line.

The only thing I can say is read Batman: Year One and Daredevil: Born Again. His work is amazing. He didn't do a lot of comic work, but he's still one of the greatest artist to work in the comics, in my opinion. His reputation is helped by the fact that he worked on iconic stories, also.

Whether it's worth $12K, I don't know. It's probably being dangled at a high price to see if someone will bite. I doubt that it sells that that figure, though.

The only thing I can say is read Batman: Year One and Daredevil: Born Again. His work is amazing. He didn't do a lot of comic work, but he's still one of the greatest artist to work in the comics, in my opinion. His reputation is helped by the fact that he worked on iconic stories, also.

Whether it's worth $12K, I don't know. It's probably being dangled at a high price to see if someone will bite. I doubt that it sells that that figure, though.

Thanks guys (including "The Collector"). I get kind of lost when they re-write (to my mind0 old established comic-books. I thought DETECTIVE # 27 was Bat's true beginning? wink.gif

An iconic piece. Cool to see the original.

http://www.theartistschoice.com/mazzba.html

Sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about the artist in question. I've looked at the ebay link. The art looks competent, but doesn't strike me as being worth $12k-plus . . . or grail-territory. Can someone kindly update me as to the significance of this piece?

Not criticizing . . . just curious. confused.gif

The storyline in question is one of the most significant/well received Batman stories ever. Written by Frank Miller and illustrated by Dave Mazzuchelli, Year One is widely regarded as the definitive take on Batman's origin and early career.

Mazzuchelli himself had a short, but monumental superhero comics career, twice working with Frank Miller on classic arcs- Year One and Daredevil: Born Again (considered by many to be the single best Daredevil arc ever.) Moving on from the superhero work, he went on to create a more "art comics" style for his sequential work. He also did several covers for The New Yorker post Marvel/DC.

Know nothing about David Mazzucchelli?!?!??! 893whatthe.gif

Ach...youngin's! tongue.gif

I second everything Rob said about both Batman: Year One and Daredevil: Born Again as being among the best 'runs' of both characters. Combined with Frank Miller's writing, these great stories featured imo one of the truly great artists to ever work in this field!! hail.gif and I believe the two runs were also his only superhero stuff that he inked himself on.

About this particular cover: It's definitely a memorable and iconic cover for those of us who bought the issue off the stands. I do think it would look cooler with all the logos and stuff but why quibble? Batman Year One art has been something OA collectors have wanted and asked about since the books came out. Until now, NOTHING has ever been offered and from certain sources of information, I've been told it is very unlikely anything else will ever shake free. Yes, it's pricey. It's not for the faint hearted. But for me, this is more desirable than some DPS from Byrne's run on X-Men. thumbsup2.gif

Lambert

Know nothing about David Mazzucchelli?!?!??! 893whatthe.gif

Ach...youngin's! tongue.gif

I second everything Rob said about both Batman: Year One and Daredevil: Born Again as being among the best 'runs' of both characters. Combined with Frank Miller's writing, these great stories featured imo one of the truly great artists to ever work in this field!! hail.gif and I believe the two runs were also his only superhero stuff that he inked himself on.

About this particular cover: It's definitely a memorable and iconic cover for those of us who bought the issue off the stands. I do think it would look cooler with all the logos and stuff but why quibble? Batman Year One art has been something OA collectors have wanted and asked about since the books came out. Until now, NOTHING has ever been offered and from certain sources of information, I've been told it is very unlikely anything else will ever shake free. Yes, it's pricey. It's not for the faint hearted. But for me, this is more desirable than some DPS from Byrne's run on X-Men. thumbsup2.gif

I respect the various opinions voiced thus far.

Yep, I'm showing my age here, obviously!

Batman, Year One? Does that negate the creator's, Bob Kane's, debut of his creation? What 'Year' does that make 'tective # 27? Year minus-one?

Whilst I'm not out to disrespect Miller's vision/s, what about lip service to the guys who created these characters?

How was DD "born again"? What's that mean???

Batman, Year One? Does that negate the creator's, Bob Kane's, debut of his creation? What 'Year' does that make 'tective # 27? Year minus-one?

(To quibble, Tec 27 isn't an origin story, so it's a bit apples to oranges)

Nothing "negates" what Kane did. No one is saying that. The thing is, the fact that Kane created Batman doesn't mean that his work on the character is also the best QUALITY work on the character. While I enjoy the early Detective stories for what they are, they're not "great" comics and Kane, as visionary as he was, was (by most measures) not a very good artist.

Also, the idea that these stories can't be retold and re-examined goes against the way other mythologies are treated. While "new" takes aren't always successfully, fearing to do them because of something done in the past puts the myth at risk of stagnating. Revitalizing and refreshing these mythologies for a new generation is a healthy thing.

In this specific case, Batman was DEAD before Miller brought him back into the forefront with Dark Knight Returns and Year One.

Whilst I'm not out to disrespect Miller's vision/s, what about lip service to the guys who created these characters?

I'm not sure why one would need to give lip service to the guys who created these characters in this discussion. Should I couch every sentence talking about every superhero with a sentence praising their creators? Whatever Stan Lee, Bill Everett, Wally Wood, Bob Kane et al. did doesn't really change the fact that the two series under discussion here are amongst the best superhero stories ever told. AND the fact that these two series are amongst the best superhero stories ever told does NOTHING to change the contributions of the guys who created these characters.

It's the name of the story. Daredevil: Born Again. Like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

(To quibble, Tec 27 isn't an origin story, so it's a bit apples to oranges)

Nothing "negates" what Kane did. No one is saying that. The thing is, the fact that Kane created Batman doesn't mean that his work on the character is also the best QUALITY work on the character. While I enjoy the early Detective stories for what they are, they're not "great" comics and Kane, as visionary as he was, was (by most measures) not a very good artist.

Also, the idea that these stories can't be retold and re-examined goes against the way other mythologies are treated. While "new" takes aren't always successfully, fearing to do them because of something done in the past puts the myth at risk of stagnating. Revitalizing and refreshing these mythologies for a new generation is a healthy thing.

In this specific case, Batman was DEAD before Miller brought him back into the forefront with Dark Knight Returns and Year One.

I'm not sure why one would need to give lip service to the guys who created these characters in this discussion. Should I couch every sentence talking about every superhero with a sentence praising their creators? Whatever Stan Lee, Bill Everett, Wally Wood, Bob Kane et al. did doesn't really change the fact that the two series under discussion here are amongst the best superhero stories ever told. AND the fact that these two series are amongst the best superhero stories ever told does NOTHING to change the contributions of the guys who created these characters.

It's the name of the story. Daredevil: Born Again. Like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

Fair point, Rob React.

As mentioned previously, I'm totally unfamiliar with the two re-workings (of long-established characters) you mention. As such, I'm not qualified to comment on something I know nothing about.

Not disputing your opinion that Kane's stories are not necessarily great, I'm just a bit miffed about the need to 're-create' something that's been firmly in place for several decades. Poverty of invention on the 're-inventor's' behalf?

Bit like the Tim Burton BATMAN of not-so-long-ago, which has now been re-invented with a new origin!

If Miller and co. are great, why dont they BUILD upon what's gone before, instead of tinkering with it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As mentioned previously, I'm totally unfamiliar with the two re-workings (of long-established characters) you mention.

The Daredevil story isn't a "reworking" The title (Born Again) is misleading in this context, I guess. It's just a plain old Daredevil story that also might be the best one ever told.

Honestly, the Year One story isn't really a reworking either. It's more of an expansion done with modern storytelling techniques. It's very true to the original origin tale (and the dozens of retellings that had taken place between Detective 33 where it first appeared and 1987.)

Not disputing your opinion that Kane's stories are not necessarily great, I'm just a bit miffed about the need to 're-create' something that's been firmly in place for several decades. Poverty of invention on the 're-inventor's' behalf?

Frankly, no. With the exception of the genius moment when he created Batman, Bob Kane isn't qualified to carry Frank Miller's pencil box. He deserves all the credit in the world for creating what's probably my favorite superhero character, but he's not nearly the creative entity that Frank Miller is. Probably by a factor of ten.

If Miller and co. are great, why dont they BUILD upon what's gone before, instead of tinkering with it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As I allude to above, that's precisely what he does do. It's just the foundation is so slim in this case that talents like Miller and Mazzuchelli taking an in-depth swing at the story couldn't help but overwhelm the original.

Hi Mister Trent: hi.gif

I was merely making a joke to point out how two stories that mean so much to me as a comic dork are so completely unknown to you. It's one thing if you heard of them and just never read them. It's another thing if you read them and didn't care for them and don't share my exalted view of the stories. But you've never even heard of them! 893whatthe.gif So I was just pointing out how that may be due to age differences. That's all. cool.gif But, you really should try to borrow copies from a friend or find a cheap copy in some dealer's bin. I don't think you will be disappointed. thumbsup2.gif

"It's the name of the story. Daredevil: Born Again. Like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns."

Oh and Rob? You had me at "hello"! flowerred.gif

stooges.gif

Lamb

man, i'm diggin' these Graemlins smileys devil.gif

Hi Mister Trent: hi.gif

I was merely making a joke to point out how two stories that mean so much to me as a comic dork are so completely unknown to you. It's one thing if you heard of them and just never read them. It's another thing if you read them and didn't care for them and don't share my exalted view of the stories. But you've never even heard of them! 893whatthe.gif So I was just pointing out how that may be due to age differences. That's all. cool.gif But, you really should try to borrow copies from a friend or find a cheap copy in some dealer's bin. I don't think you will be disappointed. thumbsup2.gif

"It's the name of the story. Daredevil: Born Again. Like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns."

Oh and Rob? You had me at "hello"! flowerred.gif

stooges.gif

Lamb

man, i'm diggin' these Graemlins smileys devil.gif

Hi Lamb . . . everyone who took the time and trouble to respond.

It sounds as if I really should look these works up smile.gif