• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Back Covers
2 2

135 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2024 at 4:33 PM, Wahoo88 said:

This is my favorite of the many Aurora Monster Model back cover ads.  It ran on the DC issues of May 1970.  I built all of these models as a child with the exception of the Witch and The Forgotten Prisoner.

If this falls in the Silver Age rather than Bronze Age, then it can be struck from the thread...  :)

Comic_CGC_4272132002_Aquaman-51_BC.jpg

Fits perfectly! I'd argue conan 1 from 1970 is bronze  :)

Did the ones you built glow in the dark as advertised?  Or very well? Sounds like that would have been cool back then :)

On 1/9/2024 at 7:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Fits perfectly! I'd argue conan 1 from 1970 is bronze  :)

Did the ones you built glow in the dark as advertised?  Or very well? Sounds like that would have been cool back then :)

The model kits came with glow in the dark head and hands.  Also included were the standard head and hands (non glowing), so you had a choice on how to build them.  They did glow well, but faded out over time, probably after an hour or so.

On 1/9/2024 at 9:24 PM, Wahoo88 said:

The model kits came with glow in the dark head and hands.  Also included were the standard head and hands (non glowing), so you had a choice on how to build them.  They did glow well, but faded out over time, probably after an hour or so.

An hour after being out in the dark each day? Or one hour period? Just for clarification lol

Just to know the value of the glow, and God forbid you didn't build it at night or something. I suppose a choice on how you build means they weren't interchangeable after builds? 

They look cool, would just stink if the glow did somehow feed off uv and regain, which I always had assumed it did. Pardon my ignorance to need it spelled out. :shy:

On 1/9/2024 at 10:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

An hour after being out in the dark each day? Or one hour period? Just for clarification lol

Just to know the value of the glow, and God forbid you didn't build it at night or something. I suppose a choice on how you build means they weren't interchangeable after builds? 

They look cool, would just stink if the glow did somehow feed off uv and regain, which I always had assumed it did. Pardon my ignorance to need it spelled out. :shy:

The plastic pieces have a phosphor based additive.  Phosphor absorbs light energy from any bright source, such as sunlight or a lamp.  It then re-radiates the light, but the intensity fades out over time as it depletes the stored energy.  I think that fade out time was around an hour.

These models were assembled with glue, so once assembled, the parts were not easily interchangeable.  So you had a choice.  Assemble them to glow, or assemble them to be painted to look more realistic.