• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Grading Contest Starts At Midnight On STL Comics, Over $700 In Prizes

58 posts in this topic

You guys still harboring that criminal on your boards?

The silence speaks volumes.

Brian, did you resign this board when Hammer was a member here?

By your definition, THIS board "harbored" Hammer as well. Hammer wasn't banned here for his past record, he was banned for his message board behavior. If he played nice, he could STILL be a member here.

STL is not "harboring" anyone. The information is out there and people are free to make up their own minds.

Brian, did you resign this board when Hammer was a member here?

No.

CGC also didn't promote themselves as "the place that welcomes Hammer" when I joined.

By your definition, THIS board "harbored" Hammer as well.

Yes.

Hammer wasn't banned here for his past record,

He should have been.

he was banned for his message board behavior. If he played nice, he could STILL be a member here.

That would be a shame.

STL is not "harboring" anyone.

Yes they are.

har·bored, har·bor·ing, har·bors

1. To give shelter to: harbor refugees; harbor a fugitive.

2. To provide a place, home, or habitat for.

The information is out there and people are free to make up their own minds.

Correct. It's obvious where the STL boys stand on the issue. Not to mention all of the people over there that have fallen into line and continue to add legitimacy to Hammers lunacy.

By your definition, THIS board "harbored" Hammer as well. Hammer wasn't banned here for his past record, he was banned for his message board behavior. If he played nice, he could STILL be a member here.

STL is not "harboring" anyone. The information is out there and people are free to make up their own minds.

The information is out there... Sounds like X-Files. 27_laughing.gif Well, as one of the STL people "over there" I'll say I've had the same reaction everytime I've read that " Mystery In Cyberspace " blog: WTF?!?!, that guy has got to be the dumbest criminal EVER. You know, assuming criminals want to keep ill-gotten gains.

The "Testimonials" are jaw dropping, especially 'burntboys'. [auctions were well over a year old at the time]" So I contacted him immediately and he returned my e-mail right away. He apologized for the books having had restoration, told me to send them to him. I did and he sent me a check about one week later. It cleared today. It was for just over $28,000!!!"

That's one stupid criminal. foreheadslap.gif

Especially compared to a sit-at-the-table Premiere Collector Society member like Ewert and the standard Ebay/CGC "no returns" policy. In fact, just did an Ebay title/description search for "CGC" "no returns" and it pulled up 914 auctions. That might be article worthy info for some consumer protection reporting.

Anyway, that CBG article just seems bizarre (to me), like a very wordy extra-mile effort that's ultimately inconclusive. Plus it sticks out like a sore thumb. Where are any other hobby-press articles like that about other Ebay comic sellers. Or the Batman 11 trimmer guy. Or the recent Ewert mess? confused-smiley-013.gif

Post some links if you've got 'em. thumbsup2.gif

The information is out there... Sounds like X-Files. 27_laughing.gif Well, as one of the STL people "over there" I'll say I've had the same reaction everytime I've read that " Mystery In Cyberspace " blog: WTF?!?!, that guy has got to be the dumbest criminal EVER. You know, assuming criminals want to keep ill-gotten gains.

The "Testimonials" are jaw dropping, especially 'burntboys'. [auctions were well over a year old at the time]" So I contacted him immediately and he returned my e-mail right away. He apologized for the books having had restoration, told me to send them to him. I did and he sent me a check about one week later. It cleared today. It was for just over $28,000!!!"

That's one stupid criminal. foreheadslap.gif

No, that's one very smart criminal. makepoint.gif The point of the testimonials is not that he's smart enough to refund peoples money (in order to maintain the illusion of honesty), but that he sells restored comics as unrestored. If you didn't get that point then there's not much more I can do for you.

Do you really believe that he can detect restoration from a scan, but not on a book he's holding his hand? insane.gif Enjoy your cool-aid.

No, that's one very smart criminal. makepoint.gif The point of the testimonials is not that he's smart enough to refund peoples money (in order to maintain the illusion of honesty), but that he sells restored comics as unrestored. If you didn't get that point then there's not much more I can do for you.

Do you really believe that he can detect restoration from a scan, but not on a book he's holding his hand? insane.gif Enjoy your cool-aid.

BooHoo-Nipple.jpg

Dude, you sound like a broken record, same old same old. I've personally invited you over to participate, it's like your afraid Hammer will put you in your place. It's like you think you have an invisashield here at CGC where you can preach your web wide warnings about Hammer in your sig but yet you never venture away from CGC to carry out your mission to far reaching boards, if you were a crusader for truth, justice and the American comic way, you should be all over the place making everyone aware of Hammer, not just the people that happen to stroll through the CGC boards. By not doing so, every time you make a comment just for the sake of poking STL, you come across like that crusty bum outside my office who always talks to himself about George Bush and stinky feet like he has a personal agenda but no one takes seriously because he’s ALWAYS just outside my office, like you’re ALWAYS here, at CGC, just preaching. Same story a million times over.

Look, you have a registered ID at STL, I know you ghost the boards with the invisible ID option, but we can still see you thumbsup2.gif

I've never had anything against you, ever, and usually find you to be one of the more entertaining people here, I like you, hence the invitation. Come give us a try, even if it's just to join the grading contest, what harm can that cause? many many many board members have signed up for the new contest that I know hate Hammer and what he’s "allegedly" done but they have remained strong and persevered to take a crack at the near $1000 worth of prizes.

Seriously, you’re a cool dude, come give us all you got, hope to see you there. 893applaud-thumb.gif

If you want I'll hold your hand for the first time and snuggle you if you need comforting after if it gets to rough. flowerred.gif

BooHoo-Nipple.jpg

Dude, you sound like a broken record, same old same old. I've personally invited you over to participate, it's like your afraid Hammer will put you in your place. It's like you think you have an invisashield here at CGC where you can preach your web wide warnings about Hammer in your sig but yet you never venture away from CGC to carry out your mission to far reaching boards, if you were a crusader for truth, justice and the American comic way, you should be all over the place making everyone aware of Hammer, not just the people that happen to stroll through the CGC boards. By not doing so, every time you make a comment just for the sake of poking STL, you come across like that crusty bum outside my office who always talks to himself about George Bush and stinky feet like he has a personal agenda but no one takes seriously because he’s ALWAYS just outside my office, like you’re ALWAYS here, at CGC, just preaching. Same story a million times over.

Look, you have a registered ID at STL, I know you ghost the boards with the invisible ID option, but we can still see you thumbsup2.gif

I've never had anything against you, ever, and usually find you to be one of the more entertaining people here, I like you, hence the invitation. Come give us a try, even if it's just to join the grading contest, what harm can that cause? many many many board members have signed up for the new contest that I know hate Hammer and what he’s "allegedly" done but they have remained strong and persevered to take a crack at the near $1000 worth of prizes.

Seriously, you’re a cool dude, come give us all you got, hope to see you there. 893applaud-thumb.gif

If you want I'll hold your hand for the first time and snuggle you if you need comforting after if it gets to rough. flowerred.gif

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

lol. That's what I was thinking....someone's drinking CGC-laced cool-aid. hi.gif But honestly, I don't know what to think except that it's all very bizarre (like I said). confused-smiley-013.gif

It's just hard to imagine that his victims are all dim-bulb hayseeds that spend thousands on comics, but don't have a clue about restoration concerns in the marketplace. And that honoring a 'life of ownership guarantee', years after the fact, is some genius level ruse. But maybe you're right, he just returns money (28 frikken grand!!) if there's any problem as an illusion of honesty.

It's also hard to imagine that he could spot the trim on the Batman 11 and Ewert's Strange Tales 128 from scans , but CGC's guys couldn't see it inhand. Or, to say it another way, that CGC has no problem spotting Dr. Evil's trim jobs, but missed a string of Ewert's (staple swap too).

And it's hard to make sense of all the effort that CBG/CGC put into that article to out an Ebay comic selling conman, just protecting us all. But not a single peep in the comic hobby press about Halperin's as colorful past (the Forbes article).

The WHOLE THING seems very weird, like some pieces of the complete picture are missing. The bottomline is buyer's have to watch their own backs and educate themselves about all the possible marketplace minefields they can wander into.