• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC the only place to shop ?! ?!

27 posts in this topic

Is there other avenues for people to send in comicbooks for grading and slabbing their wares to just CGC. If so,where..... Could you say it's healthy to have a competitive industry with more then one company to grade books. To monpolize the grading of comicbook from one company means a lack of diversity and choices in the marketplace. ooo.gif

Nope we're in a monopoly situation right now, with CGC racking prices whenever they feel like, and us footing the bill. Either a competitor will emerge, or the whole deal will implode on itself.

Under the current structure, we'll be paying $30 USD to grade a Modern, $50 for Economy, $75 for Standard and $100 for Express in very short order.

i hope that there will be a competition for grading services because let's be honest, things always improve for the consumer when there are more options. I am hoping for more consistency and a published standard from any new company. although I feel that cgc does have a very good service... but i know a lot of people disagree.

I like CGC's service for the most part. My only problems with CGC are:

1) Crazy Submission rates. $19 a modern? confused.gif

2) Removal of grader's notes (ie. date stamps)

3) No date showing when book was graded

Is there other avenues for people to send in comicbooks for grading and slabbing their wares to just CGC. If so,where..... Could you say it's healthy to have a competitive industry with more then one company to grade books.

To put it simply: No on one. Yes on two.

Yes, " the Comic Grading Group "

Anyway , we live in a competitive market. Competition keeps prices down & increases service and value to a product. Two or Three companies serving this market would be best for us, the customer. Then , if price , product and quality are a given, than,the true performer will be that one that rises above the rest.The others will have to strive to stay with the top performer . We will be the winners !!

There is room for others to offer this service. They may even offer more/better or specialized service. I do not know. But what is certain , is that the prices to slab a book is driven by US. Give the competitor some business . See what they have to offer. How is their product ? Their delivery ? How about follow-ups ? After sales service ? What will keep you as a customer ? Price alone ? You will be the judge depending on the criteria you have set to measure your continued business with that vendor.

There is CGG COMICS GRADING GROUP. Thier new in the business. They have graded a bunch of my books, I should be getting them back any day. Trying them out just to see how they compare. Can't comment on them yet until I get the books. But price is great. I got more books graded by them then I have in two years time with CGC. Communacion is great. They send emails letting me know they recieved the comics, that the books are being graded, finished grading, and being sent. They (Danial) even let me know that my books will have the new improved label. Mine will be the first with this new label. Kind of excited about that. Can't wait to see it. But thats all I can say for now. When I get my graded comics I'll let you all know what I think. Good or bad. So later.

"things always improve for the consumer when there are more options.

Yea, just look at the deregulation of the utility companies in California. That was a real winner. frown.gif

2) Removal of grader's notes (ie. date stamps)
I'll both agree and disagree with this.

Should CGC have removed label comments? Yes. They only highlighted a small subset of the total set of defects present on a comic, which will inevitably lead to mental fixation on only those defects listed on the label; not to mention the fact that anyone who doesn't do some asking will continue to think that the comments were somehow separate from the numerical grade.

Should CGC have removed label comments and not replace them with something else? NO! They should print on a piece of paper that gets sent out with each slab every bit of data the graders enter into their internal software. That way, you get more balanced disclosure of defects, not just a few on the space-deprived label that people fixate too heavily upon.

I definitely understand where you are coming from. Some people tend to focus on the grader's notes wayyy too much sometimes. You can witness this happening all of the time on ebay; people bidding madly on an horribly off-center and/or mis-cut "CGC 9.4" w/ no grader's notes while they tend to "ignore" the same exact issue with CGC grader's notes that state "mis-cut" that ended for 1/2 of the average selling price the previous week! confused.gif

Although I understand this crazy phenomena, I still have a bad taste in my mouth after CGC decided to remove the grader's notes altogether. Many collectors did not even realize they made this change and have received books with undisclosed writing, date stamps, etc. and are very pissed about it. The same goes for the "knowledgeable" CGC collectors; shady sellers love to use CGC's new policy as some sort of shield and intentionally do not disclose the hideous flaws their books have in order to receive a better end price on their auctions. How many times have we heard this??? ->>> "It is part of the grade." That line is a load of [!@#%^&^]. mad.gif

Your suggestion of CGC actually including grader's notes would be awesome, but will it happen? Highly doubt it, but who knows? tongue.gif I don't know about you guys, but i've found the grader's notes to be worthless. They only mention one or two flaws when there are much more mad.gif