• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taschen's Fantastic Four Marvel Comics Library is the one of the greatest SA Books ever created!!!
1 1

62 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 12:25 PM, Dave2739 said:

Is Andrew Buckle from the video a boardie?

His Tashen AMSM review was top rate also, he is an interesting fellow and has number of great review videos on Marvel Masterworks etc....but he is located in England that is about all I know

Wild price fluctuations on Amazon as the  price is back up to over $183 dollars and a different seller which is “book depository “

However the outstanding prices on Avengers and AMSM are unchanged. Anyone get the FF book from Amazon yet?

Received mine today. Ordered from Amazon but it came from a third party with a big damaged sticker on it as the outer box looked terible. I video taped the opening but the inner box and the book were fine.  I have the first two volumes and this one is just as nice.

Edited by shadroch

On 12/10/2022 at 4:55 AM, gunsmokin said:

Having read mine now from cover to cover I’d say it was just about everything I could ask for. I would have liked to see more original art but the commentary was excellent and the production values were excellent as always.

Great, these classic books deserve that type of presentation....any thoughts of what you would suggest next for  silver age marvel Tashen?

Edited by Mmehdy

On 12/10/2022 at 3:30 PM, Mmehdy said:

Great, these classic books deserve that type of presentation....any thoughts of what you would suggest next for  silver age marvel Tashen?

I thought I’d read it would be Captain America. Personally, I’d rather have a second volume of ASM or FF.

On 12/10/2022 at 1:41 PM, gunsmokin said:

I thought I’d read it would be Captain America. Personally, I’d rather have a second volume of ASM or FF.

I thing that is going to be GA Cap 1-13...something like that...but for SA...its wide open, I like Thor but of course some of the early issues were not Kirby and I feel they suffered for that...Can anyone confirm what issues of Cap and either GA or SA?

shipped out early today...they say get it by the 28th...I am hoping sooner. I will do an big review once I read it thru..... Here is my plan...Read FF1-19 and Ann1...go back and read the intro, they finish reading the back. I want to go in "cold" without any preconceptions of what anything means etc, then add the intro like frosting on a cake. The very important thead which is taking month by month Ditko's, Kirby's and Stan Lees creation of the marvel big bang is a fantastic companion to the "proper" release of the Marvel Library  in the theads below...my highest recommendation to take a look. Should take me 2 days to go thru it.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:03 PM, Mmehdy said:

shipped out early today...they say get it by the 28th...I am hoping sooner. I will do an big review once I read it thru..... Here is my plan...Read FF1-19 and Ann1...go back and read the intro, they finish reading the back. I want to go in "cold" without any preconceptions of what anything means etc, then add the intro like frosting on a cake. The very important thead which is taking month by month Ditko's, Kirby's and Stan Lees creation of the marvel big bang is a fantastic companion to the "proper" release of the Marvel Library  in the theads below...my highest recommendation to take a look. Should take me 2 days to go thru it.

Awesome! I'm picking mine up on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

I Love Taschen books, very well made, and own The Stan Lee Story and 75 Years of Marvel. In a perfect world these comic series volumes would be fun to collect, but yeah they’re expensive. Plus massive books. I always roll my eyes when people say omnis are too unwieldy to read comfortably, lap desks my bros, but these monsters…  Haven’t gotten there yet, but eventually plan on getting a good-sized pub table and wooden book stand to read my Taschens comfortably.

Got it !!!!  I had high expectations and it blew me away!!!

Review Part #1- So far FF 1-10 read. I will go into a more issue by issue review when done but just a couple of thoughts...

1- Going back in time : The ADs make this feel like a real book. When I read the masterworks they were at their time the only hardcover things we had...they were great...the Omni's added the letter pages...but with ads it feels like the real deal.  Especially the color and feel. The most accurate color reproduction ever made from the original comic book. Refreshing!

2-Size Matters:  I have read FF1 and FF5 more than any other comic book in the  the last. 60 years and I would. say 50 times easy and especially as a kid......I have never seen the "mole man" so scary and detailed...it changed the way I will read the book from now...certain FF panels are classic...like images in mind from 60 years ago....but this outstanding edition, the best ever created, changes the way and increases your appreciation of what you know was special and different when it came out. I find it impossible to go back to a masterworks edition seeing what can be done  here in 2022.

3 Great things get even greater over time: -Even today, the run of FF1-10, the ideas.....the creative force was a real big bang for Marvel and the future of comic book art or as "marvel pop art" as  marvel would later claim, mixed with great adventure hold up 62 years later.

4- RESPECT:  I give a bow to the tremendous amount of respect that Tashen has given this early FF material...if you look at their other outstanding art books including the upcoming new DEFINITIVE Frank Frazetta  book coming in Jan 6, 2023( which I have pre-ordered), they have given this edition every amount of detail and work that was given their previous releases

5- Super Value: In 2022 they say the dollar is decreasing in value. This is one exception...Best Bang for the buck for any comic art this year...maybe even in the last ten. The quality is second to none...

more to come......

Let's get some more opinions out here!!!!

Edited by Mmehdy

Finally received mine, and as with the previous Spider-Man and Avengers, it's everything I hoped for and more.

Gotta admit, though, I have no idea how you get a low number edition. I put in my pre-order literally the second the listingwent live--I keep odd hours and yes I was constantly refreshing the Taschen website daily for weeks--and got #652. I don't care that much, but I definitely thought I had a chance at getting a sub-100 but alas lol