• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM What If? #1
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have several copies of this book with varying degrees of what looks like production defects including chipping.  Is this Marvel chipping?  I had thought Marvel chipping was from dull blades and inferior paper from an earlier era? Or was that happening mid-1970's as well?

The first 2 photos are the group of books showing similar chip defects in the same area.

The last 4 images are of the same book.  This book probably has the most severe defects, including the fc bottom edge.  I do not know how to grade this book because I do not know how much weight the defects have, some probably being production related?  What are your thoughts on this book's grade, please? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Sorry I was not clear

The first 2 pictures, each showing 5 books, was just to show that this flaw was common to other copies of the same issue.    Sometimes when you look at a cut, tear or chip, you may wonder if it's production related or just a one-off that happened due to human neglect after production. 

I am only asking for help grading the single book pictured in the last 4 pictures.  Keeping in mind that the chipping on that one book is also found on other copies of the same issue.

On 11/13/2022 at 11:06 PM, Pukie said:

chipping

Got it. I don't think that damage along the bottom is Marvel chipping, firstly b/c this isn't a Silver Age book since it was published in 1977. They looks more like gripper holes to me, although IDK if it's common with this book/publishing era. Look at the interior page for similar damage. While gripper holes are considered production, these look especially gnarly to me. Perhaps they've been enlarged by handling or a bad day at the printer. One hypothesis for the fairly uniform location for piece out on the side is that these books were stacked & bound with something at the newsstand and handled a little too roughly. I believe this is a square bound book too, I can see the staples pushing up through the back cover, and it's a bit wavy back there. This might be pressable to a degree, although pressing square bounds is more difficult as I've been told. You might get a 7.0 out of this if some degree of the damage was production. Personally, I wouldn't roll the dice on grading a book in this conditions/of this value b/c it's a best a break even proposition. If I was buying this raw, I would not want the seller to advertise it higher than 6.0/6.5. I love the What if...? series tho, despite many of the issues not being considered particularly noteworthy.

Unlikely a production flaw. More handling or environment.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:41 PM, AJD said:

That damage on the opening edge looks to me like it might have been caused by a strap around a bundle of the books. 2c

hm

Not a bad theory.

FNVF range, IMO. 6.5 therabouts.

Thanks for sharing.