• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slight Color Touch Question

7 posts in this topic

Was gonna send in my first three books (from the coupons) to CGC and was looking through some of my nicer and more valuable ones to submit. Not looking to sell anything at this time, but to get a feel for the service and slab some of my nicer issues to protect and display them more easily. I don't have a scanner set up at the moment otherwise I'd be bombarding you with PGMs on the other forum. wink.gif

Anyway, one that I was considering is a very nice copy of GS X-Men #1, bought by me off the stands back in '76 or whenever the heck it came out. It looks 9.2 or so to me, which means I'd expect 8.5 maybe from CGC 27_laughing.gif. But looking closer, it may have a tiny (one spot, maybe two) color touch on the black line at the spine. Can't really tell it's there (and I have no black light) but I fear this might have been something I did shortly after I bought it (we were young and foolish...).

Was wondering how much this one spot would detract from the grade - say if it was otherwise a 9.0? Also, would this get the dreaded PLOD? If so, I might hold off on this one and wait for the label change. Don't really mind so much if it came back with a "minor color touch" on a blue label. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ray

Also, I'd suggest that since you are not looking to sell anyway (plus 8.5's are very common for GSX #1's )and just take the risk of affirming resto work, why take the risk? Just stick it in a ultra thick toploader. They are just as good as a slab, they are cheaper and they let you see the book without having to be reminded all the time of that nasty purple label.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I might hold off and wait then. The only reason I was gonna get the GSX slabbed anyway was because I have the coupons and I have few books valued over the $250 max economy tier. Figured I'd save more using the coupon on that one.

So does color touch not affect the grade then? I thought it would, though maybe not as much as writing on the cover. What, theoretically, could the highest grade be on a book with a tiny spot or two of CT on the spine? If it was otherwise 9.2, would it be labeled 9.2 w/resto (though in this case the CT could hardly be considered "resto")?

So does color touch not affect the grade then? I thought it would, though maybe not as much as writing on the cover. What, theoretically, could the highest grade be on a book with a tiny spot or two of CT on the spine? If it was otherwise 9.2, would it be labeled 9.2 w/resto (though in this case the CT could hardly be considered "resto")?

If the color touch is applied in a way that blends in with the artwork, it will not deduct from the grade at all. Technically, you could apply a touch of color to a 9.6 to make it an [apparent] 9.8. As long as the touch isn't an out of place blob of ink (that is, a stain) I don't think it would detract from any grade.

Rest assured, CGC will think that a book with even the tiniest color touch is "restored" and it will get a purple label. It does seem especially silly to give lower grade books PLODs for tiny touches or dots of glue... does anyone care if a 3.5 has 2 or 3 pinhead sized color touches? foreheadslap.gif