• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby Super Powers Question

8 posts in this topic

I thought I read somewhere that Kirby's Super Powers artwork was inked from statted blue lines and there is no Kirby art underneath the inks.

I saw this auction tonight on ebay and I was wondering if those markings underneath are the statted blue lines or Kirby art?

Could anyone more in the know enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/9koqa

I thought I read somewhere that Kirby's Super Powers artwork was inked from statted blue lines and there is no Kirby art underneath the inks.

I saw this auction tonight on ebay and I was wondering if those markings underneath are the statted blue lines or Kirby art?

Could anyone more in the know enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/9koqa

Here's the deal: On Volume 1 there was only one Kirby issue, as the first four were done by Adrian Gonzales. Kirby did the last issue and all five covers for the series. His art on that series's covers was inked directly on the pencils by Mike Royer. The second run, which this page of art is from, was lightbox inked by Theakston, so there are NO Kirby pencils on this page whatsoever. What you're seeing are lines where the lettering has been added. There's no way that page is worth $275, because it's just lightboxing by Theakston and there's no Kirby art on it at all.

If you want to see a true Kirby Super Powers piece of art, take a look at my Super Powers cover by Kirby and Royer:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=13050

Then, go to:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=648

and take a look at Jim Cardillo's Super Powers cover, which is only the pencils by Kirby from the second volume. I got my Super Powers cover from Jim. The Theakston inks cover is out there, somewhere. If it'd end up in the wrong hands, I'm sure someone would try to pass it off as a true Kirby-Theakston collaboration.

Thanks! One more question though, I can see where the lines are for the lettering but if I look at the Dr.Fate panel, there seems to be some in there for his amulet, the 'electrical' shots, his arm, etc. Are those just stats showing through?

I truly appreciate the wisdom and help of others.

Thanks.

Thanks! One more question though, I can see where the lines are for the lettering but if I look at the Dr.Fate panel, there seems to be some in there for his amulet, the 'electrical' shots, his arm, etc. Are those just stats showing through?

I truly appreciate the wisdom and help of others.

Thanks.

I would say those are Theakston's marks, maybe where he made some corrections or something. The seller is totally correct when he says there are no Kirby lines underneath. And I might have been wrong to say this wasn't worth $275. I think it's a very nice page and it is the finished product from a fairly good series. I'd much rather have it with the Kirby pencils than without, but it is the actual, published page, so $275 might not be that far off if you really, really love that series.

ugh superman is doing a hulk face. I know people call him the king and stuff, but i don't really like his stuff at all. Well I don't like Elvis either and on second hand i don't like Prince. Maybe it's the royalty thing as I do like stan the man. hMMM

Personally I'm not really a big fan of Kirby's art either although I do think every OA collection needs a page of representation of his. I'm sure the art was groundbreaking for it's time but it just doesn't do much for me other than knowing his historic, iconic hand was on a page that I'd like to eventually own.