• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations on a New Scanner for Original Art
4 4

43 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2024 at 3:04 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I think if you are going to rely on the phone as a camera (and nowadays most smart phones are quite good) you can forego any manual rigging and download a scanning app that will crop, rotate and fix the inevitable distortion inherent in trying to hold a camera to shoot a flat 2D object. This is the only “feature” the CZUR did do well and that’s all post imaging so any software can do it. 

I do that now. But the problem is overhead lighting and shadows creep in. Jury rigging an overhead system with lighting would eliminate the glare and shadow problems. 

On 4/11/2024 at 2:07 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I do that now. But the problem is overhead lighting and shadows creep in. Jury rigging an overhead system with lighting would eliminate the glare and shadow problems. 

Yup, and the CZUR system sucked at that too- I had an overhead light that either caused glare or the fixture cast a shadow. The device had a light, but that just blew out the image. You just want a little studio box, semi opaque that’s white with an opening for the camera 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PULUZ-Soft-Box-Set-Portable-Folding-Photo-Lighting-Modifier-Photography-Tent-Box-with-12-Colors-Backdrops/813785332

image.thumb.png.4621b2fd1c075deb86d42e90b3f8fca2.png

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

Various Plustek A3 models give true color and have nice depth of field.  Best raws I've seen are from the Plustek OpticPro A320L.  I haven't been able to pony up for a Plustek A3 (though I do use a Plustek as my workhorse A4 scanner) but have been pretty happy with my Scannx 6167 for A3 work which has a very substantial and solid build but doesn't work with newer operating systems.

Outside of the overhead scanner system they use at the Library of Congress, I've never seen one with anything approaching flatbed quality.   Cameras can get good images but there are all sorts of angle, lighting, shadow, and color considerations. Any sort of accurate reproduction or archival quality image imo requires a scan.