• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations on a New Scanner for Original Art
3 3

42 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has been posted before. I'm looking for an affordable (if there's such a thing) scanner for Original Comic Art. I've been buying high end pieces and wanted to start posting it on CAF. 

I was hoping to find something that scan up to 11x17. 

Any recommendations.... 

On 11/22/2022 at 6:00 PM, Lago32 said:

I had the HP Officejet Pro 7740 for about 5 years and after about 3-4 years it started wearing out so I took the opportunity to buy the EPSON Workforce WF-7840 a year or so ago, and frankly I like it much better. The scanning/printing is more accurate on the EPSON but the big differentiator for me is the fact you can print on 13x19 paper on the EPSON. I do not frame any of my originals but rather I make high-res color scans of the art and then print it on either 11x17 or 13x19 high-quality heavier card-stock-ish paper and then frame that. You would never know the difference and no fading and no theft with the actual art locked away.

Same here. That Epson has been my go to for awhile now. Just re-scanned the bulk of my original art and it worked exceptionally well. My office got a new copier/printer and they gave it to me. 

On 11/22/2022 at 4:00 PM, Lago32 said:

I had the HP Officejet Pro 7740 for about 5 years and after about 3-4 years it started wearing out so I took the opportunity to buy the EPSON Workforce WF-7840 a year or so ago, and frankly I like it much better...

I plan to do the same. I've had the HP 7740 since 2018, but I will switch to the EPSON Workforce at some point. My main issue with the HP is that it struggles with printing on thicker paper (like a typical comic art board). The Epson seems to handle thicker boards much better and I see it being a common choice for professional inkers who need to print out blue lines. The HP software has also become very annoying with requiring a login and being buggy on MacOS. When it comes to printing, HP also introduced expiration dates on printer cartridges. It's very annoying that some perfectly fine ink cartridges aren't able to be used because it has been deemed expired. This stuff isn't cheap. I'm hoping Epson hasn't gone this route but I haven't looked into it yet.

I also bought a Professional Edition license for VueScan and it has been great for scanning. 

On 11/27/2022 at 1:47 AM, PixelPusher said:

My main issue with the HP is that it struggles with printing on thicker paper (like a typical comic art board). The Epson seems to handle thicker boards much better and I see it being a common choice for professional inkers who need to print out blue lines.

I own a WF-7710 as mentioned above. I used it just before the Baltimore Comic Con to print a template for one of my faux Sugar and Spike covers. While I would have liked it to be a little darker, it was more than acceptable and it handled the paper without any issue.

I used it for a sketch from Walt Simonson. Click for a bigger image.

image.thumb.jpeg.a64e9c975a8a60e06913813a8c72d3ee.jpeg

Continuing the Epson Workforce support. I bought an Epson WorkForce Pro WF-7820 last year to scan my original art and it's been great. I don't plan to really print with it as I have a reliable laser printer, but the reviews I've read for the Epson's indicate that, unlike many brands, it will continue to allow scanning without a working ink supply. I'm a Mac user, so I just use Preview, which is built in, to scan and make any minor edits. No need for branded software so far.

On 12/6/2022 at 6:24 PM, aaronnear said:

Continuing the Epson Workforce support. I bought an Epson WorkForce Pro WF-7820 last year to scan my original art and it's been great. I don't plan to really print with it as I have a reliable laser printer, but the reviews I've read for the Epson's indicate that, unlike many brands, it will continue to allow scanning without a working ink supply. I'm a Mac user, so I just use Preview, which is built in, to scan and make any minor edits. No need for branded software so far.

Same situation here. My Epson is a little older, but it works well with my MacBook Pro and it scans without ink. 

Edited by alxjhnsn

If you happen to have an Adobe Creative subscription for software like photoshop, premiere pro, etc, I just discovered that there is an Adobe Scan app for mobile which is included. Just tried it out and I'm really happy with the quality of scans that it produces, far better than the scans I was getting with the notes app document scan I mentioned before. It also has filters that can help remove glare for if you want to take scans of sketch covers that are encapsulated. Going to have to make some time now to retake scan

Edited by JC25427N

Plustek OpticPro A320E . Have mine almost 2 years, does a great job on Original Art + slabbed comics and cards.  It's CCD tech which in my opinion is superior to CIS for Art and of course for slabs (CIS wont work right on them).

Edited by MAR1979