• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So... what is it worth?

41 posts in this topic

Since the discussion of the worth of certain "impossible dream" covers has come up in a thread at least partially taken over by KK vs. the forum battles, I thought I'd bring the question up in its own thread. Obviously, this too will degenerate in a KK vs. the forum battle as well, but I figured I might be able to squeeze a few responses out of people before it does so (especially from the people most violently opposed to KK's estimations.)

So, here goes. Imagine for a second that it does exist and was put up for sale through Heritage, what would the published cover to Amazing Fantasy 15 be worth?

How about a few other covers (while I'm here)

Detective 27

Action 1

Fantastic Four 1

Fantastic Four 5

Amazing Spider-Man 50

X-Men 1

Amazing Fantasy # 15 --------------> $3 - $5 Million

Detective 27 ------------------------> $5 Million plus

Action 1 ------------------------->$5 Million plus

Fantastic Four 1 --------------------->$2 - $3 Million

Fantastic Four 5 ---------------------> $800K

Amazing Spider-Man 50 -----------> $400K

X-Men 1 -----------------------> $3 Million plus

I think with pieces like these it would depend on who is watching and has the $$ available when they come up for sale. I know all the comic BSDs would be informed about the auction, but if some of the major Hollywood types are involved it could get ugly.

As for KKs predictions, who knows? He could be right on or off by a ton.

X-Men #1 wouldn't beat FF #1 though. No chance.

It would be phenomenal for the hobby if those pieces ever did come up for auction. I could absolutely see the cover to FF #1 alongside other contemporary works of art at MoMA or at the Whitney...the problem isn't interest...it's availability. The show at the Hammer Museum will certainly prove that there is an audience for this stuff...

It would be phenomenal for the hobby if those pieces ever did come up for auction. I could absolutely see the cover to FF #1 alongside other contemporary works of art at MoMA or at the Whitney...the problem isn't interest...it's availability. The show at the Hammer Museum will certainly prove that there is an audience for this stuff...

That show is travelling, by the way.

These predictions are stupid. If you are going to claim that a piece would be worth 5 million, I'd like you to tell me who is going to ante up for that.

How about your predictions instead? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I was hoping to get at least through a page frustrated.gif

So, here goes. Imagine for a second that it does exist and was put up for sale through Heritage, what would the published cover to Amazing Fantasy 15 be worth?

you did say what there worth? You didnt say what they would fetch.There is a big difference.

what i think they would fetch is

Cover to action 1 .......1.5 million

cover to Detective 27......1.5 million

cover to amazing fantasy 15...325,000

cover to fantastic 4 no.1........325,000

1 do not see the original art of these books out doing the very high grade comicbook itself.This art only represents 1 page of the intire book.

Saying what you would pay is worthless as most people would not put there money were there mouth is.An opinion as to its worth does not establish its price level.a sale [only] establishes a price level

Since the discussion of the worth of certain "impossible dream" covers has come up in a thread at least partially taken over by KK vs. the forum battles, I thought I'd bring the question up in its own thread. Obviously, this too will degenerate in a KK vs. the forum battle as well, but I figured I might be able to squeeze a few responses out of people before it does so (especially from the people most violently opposed to KK's estimations.)

How about a few other covers (while I'm here)

Detective 27

Action 1

Fantastic Four 1

Fantastic Four 5

Amazing Spider-Man 50

X-Men 1

intriguing question...but not easy to answer. Worth and will sell for are different. And the When affects both answers. And, do these piece exist? Because if a few dont, that affects the values of the others on the list. If ACtion 1 and Tec 27 are gone, then AF15 (if it exists) becomes even more valuable... where it would pale compared to the others.

anyway, if they all appeared in the next Heritage auction, the prices they sell for would be healthy. But, nowhere near millions etc. But, down the road 5 10 25 years, OF COURSE they will be more valuable than today. (but why is ASM50 onthe list????)

But then again "value" should be measured by actual sales data. Is Dentists Church Action 1 'worth' 4 million? To whom? Where is the buyer should Dave decide tomotrrow to sell it? Suppose he NEEDED to sell tomorrow, or next week...could he even get the 2 million JP offered and was turned down? JP is clearly no longer an option.(Im just making a point - - we all know Geppi would work out a deal for it...)

I can be wrong ,but i think that you are much more than i.There is NO data to back up those prices you claim.There is at least a mediocum of evidence to back up my figures.Those figures you speculate will be accurate in 15 or so years.

Krazy are you suggesting that i am biased in favor of comics[and you are not biased in favor of original art?] I think we both can take a bit of a claim to that.

(but why is ASM50 onthe list????)

KK had mentioned many ASM covers that he though would sell for over 500k. For that reason I wanted to include one beyond just AF15 and I figured what many consider the greatest cover of all time would be a good example.

So... back on topic, no predictions from you?