• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth Submitting?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I was looking for some advice as to would a remainder comic be worth submitting for grading of it has missing pages. 

I recently found a few remainder copies and one has pages torn out in the middle of the book and the others only crime (😀 ) is that its a remainder copy.

Any advise? I know it's all subjective but I'd hate to send them off and get anything other than a blue label.

I’d look up the values for the graded version of this book, use eBay sold or GPA. 

You can extrapolate or interpolate some possible values, even if the grades aren’t quite the same.

Then decide if achievable grades or prices make sense vs the cost of submission compared to your own preferences and finances

On 11/26/2022 at 2:46 PM, Poison Ivy 181 said:

Any advise? I know it's all subjective but I'd hate to send them off and get anything other than a blue label.

Actually, in the case of this Batman #92, it's not subjective; CGC would certify it as a Universal (Blue Label) 0.5 PR, with a notation that it's INCOMPLETE.   As long as you're both accurate and thorough in your written/visual description of the book (as a stripped-logo remaindered copy that's also missing interior leaf 11 - aka interior pages 21/22, the two-page text story), most potential buyers would have no problem purchasing it raw.  It would be wrong to characterize this specimen as anything other than POOR (0.5 PR).

When I submit a "for sale" (non-keeper) book to CGC, I'm generally looking for a reasonable return on my investment -- an increase in the item's market value that equals/exceeds the total cost of certification (in this case, about $75~100, depending on whether you go the 14-month Economy route or the 2-month Economy Fast Track route).  It's extremely unlikely that you'd get that return here.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:52 AM, tuck777 said:

I have a copy of Star Trek #1 Gold Key signed by s William Shatner with certificate of authenticity.  First would it be worth sending off to be graded and second, get you send it off to be pressed and graded at the same time? Sorry, I am a newbie at this.   The pic below is before I got it signed. 

star trek.JPG

Please create your own topic thread when asking questions like this as opposed to replying to someone else's topic post next time

To answer your question, CGC only grades comics as autographed authentic if they witness it, meaning your comic even with some other documentation, would be graded as is with only a written note like "Name written on cover". This is the way they have always handled autographed stuff that they did not see happen so while it may be something people think is dumb, they are at least consistent.

If you want a book graded with verified proof (which you still pay for even though you are providing some of the proof with a COA), there are other grading companies with autograph authenticators on their staff.

If you do decide to still use CGC, do NOT send in your COA as they may not send it back. And yes, you can select press and grade all as part of the same submission. They will press it first they encapsulate it (but again, it will get a blue label, with only a note saying "name on cover" and not provide any proof or authenticity to the signature on it despite what evidence you have)

Edited by comicginger1789