• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this a 4.0? Wrong label?

43 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, gadzukes said:

Large holes punched to put in a binder.  How can this still be a 4.0?  Perhaps it was supposed to get a qualified label?

s-l1600.jpg

There was a graded GA book I was tracking a while ago... let me see if I can find it...where the grade surprised me.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:51 AM, manetteska said:

There was a graded GA book I was tracking a while ago... let me see if I can find it...where the grade surprised me.

Found it; here's a CGC 5.0 with 3 punched holes, albeit they are smaller holes.

And no notation on the label, of course, for the collectors!

s-l1200.jpg

On 12/1/2022 at 1:01 PM, manetteska said:

s-l1200.jpg

Whoa, that's an amazing book.  That would probably be in the 9.0s if not for the holes.  If I owned this I think I might want the qualified grade.  I actually think 5.0 might be ok for this one since the holes are so small and the rest of the book is so high grade.

Edited by gadzukes

On 12/1/2022 at 10:01 AM, manetteska said:

s-l1200.jpg

The bottom edge is very rough and the top edge super sharp.

Looks suspicious to mehm

On 12/1/2022 at 8:27 PM, toro said:

So if a book with 3 hole punch through the whole book gets a 4.0 blue?  Why does the small Marvel Stamp on Hulk 181 and others get green label?  I'd say there is more damage done on the 3 hole vs one stamp.

You can request a blue label for the missing stamp I believe, the same as you can with the 3 hole punchers.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:27 PM, toro said:

So if a book with 3 hole punch through the whole book gets a 4.0 blue?  Why does the small Marvel Stamp on Hulk 181 and others get green label?  I'd say there is more damage done on the 3 hole vs one stamp.

Apparently, CGC gives a grade range from .5 to 6.0 for a coupon or panel missing from the interior depending upon the size of the missing piece. Comics grading 3.5 or higher are often Qualified for a large piece missing from the interior, but CGC states that a comic should never be Qualified for a coupon or panel missing from the cover... (shrug)

On 12/3/2022 at 3:12 PM, The Lions Den said:

Apparently, CGC gives a grade range from .5 to 6.0 for a coupon or panel missing from the interior depending upon the size of the missing piece. Comics grading 3.5 or higher are often Qualified for a large piece missing from the interior, but CGC states that a comic should never be Qualified for a coupon or panel missing from the cover... (shrug)

For fun, would you raise a question in the 'Ask CGC' forum, to clarify what their position is, Lion? They tend to delete mine. 

On 12/3/2022 at 10:26 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

For fun, would you raise a question in the 'Ask CGC' forum, to clarify what their position is, Lion? They tend to delete mine. 

This info was taken directly from the new Super Amalgamated CGC Grading Guide. But if you have another question, I'd be happy to look it up for you...  :foryou:

On 12/3/2022 at 3:36 PM, The Lions Den said:

This info was taken directly from the new Super Amalgamated CGC Grading Guide. But if you have another question, I'd be happy to look it up for you...  :foryou:

You actually bought one? :bigsmile:

So in the book, what specific policy determines whether a hole-punched book will be a Universal Blue or a Qualified Green? 

What does @THE_BEYONDER mean when he says "You can request a blue label for the missing stamp I believe, the same as you can with the 3 hole punchers."?

On 12/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

You actually bought one? :bigsmile:

So in the book, what specific policy determines whether a book will be a Universal Blue or a Qualified Green? 

What does @THE_BEYONDER mean when he says "You can request a blue label for the missing stamp I believe, the same as you can with the 3 hole punchers."?

8694625B-D1AD-4637-9354-7E324D5CD74A.jpeg.52445226ea1eb6d1badb9c6561ba4136.jpeg

Has this changed?  I thought submitters always had the option of taking the grade hit for a missing MVS & getting a lower grade blue rather than green.

On 12/3/2022 at 4:12 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Has this changed?  I thought submitters always had the option of taking the grade hit for a missing MVS & getting a lower grade blue rather than green.

So if I've got an otherwise 9.4 looking book, with 3 hole punch holes in it, I can ask CGC to either:

1. Grade it as a Qualified 9.4
  2. Grade it as a Universal 9.4 less whatever points they think the damage equates to (6.0 or something)

Is that right?

On 12/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

So if I've got an otherwise 9.4 looking book, with 3 hole punch holes in it, I can ask CGC to either:

1. Grade it as a Qualified 9.4
  2. Grade it as a Universal 9.4 less whatever points they think the damage equates to (6.0 or something)

Is that right?

I believe so 

On 12/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I believe so 

And yet we can't ask them not to slab the comic below as 'Brave and the Bold #28' (and as the '1st appearance of the JL'!) 9_9:

a.thumb.PNG.0c82b862e83ee0feb829448ee59728ab.png.4cb53afc7187f64c79aa259a61168eba.png

This is CGC all over, isn't it. Clear as mud, and inconsistent. 

So in the book, what specific policy determines whether a hole-punched book will be a Universal Blue or a Qualified Green? 

Since a hole punched book generally falls within the 3.0 to 5.0 range, we can assume that anything above a 5.0 would be Qualified. It's either that or it would end up as a low-grade blue label book. 

I've heard you can request a lower grade blue label book for a missing stamp, but we should keep in mind that anything over 2" x 2" used to be deemed INCOMPLETE until this year. Since the grade range for a missing coupon or panel is listed as being from .5 to 6.0, we can assume that the larger the missing coupon is, the lower the final grade will be. 

On 12/3/2022 at 4:28 PM, The Lions Den said:

Since a hole punched book generally falls within the 3.0 to 5.0 range, we can assume that anything above a 5.0 would be Qualified. It's either that or it would end up as a low-grade blue label book. 

I've heard you can request a lower grade blue label book for a missing stamp, but we should keep in mind that anything over 2" x 2" used to be deemed INCOMPLETE until this year. Since the grade range for a missing coupon or panel is listed as being from .5 to 6.0, we can assume that the larger the missing coupon is, the lower the final grade will be. 

Thanks Lion. I feel I have a lot more to say on this, and follow up questions about your reply, but I don't submit to CGC so I'll leave it to others to challenge the merits of the policy - if indeed there are any!

On 12/3/2022 at 11:12 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

As with anything else, asking politely may increase your chances of getting what you want, but ultimately that decision is made by the grading team. I've personally never thought of this as being a strict policy that's rigidly adhered to. In my mind, it depends on a number of factors... 

Edited by The Lions Den