• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are KeyCollector alerts moving values more than the projects they're about?

6 posts in this topic

There's an interesting thread on Reddit about Sandman's success on Netflix not seeming to translate into higher demand for the comic in the real world. (https://old.reddit.com/r/comicbookcollecting/comments/z8od4e/why_didnt_the_sandman_show_not_result_in_a_bump/)

I sort of agree with the premise. When a comic movie coming out was less common, and the movies were more consistently enjoyed by comic fans, the release and success of the project would translate into a meaningful and long term increase in value. But now there are so many properties being optioned and so much content being produced, it feels like the old formula no longer applies.

It feels like the moment you have to have a copy of an issue for the movie or tv show to actually help you is getting earlier and earlier. Iron Man #55 kept going up after his on screen debut. But Avengers #8 already seems to be falling in price. It seems like you need to already have an issue before its optioned to get a bump in value from a new TV/Movie adaptation in the current market.

I think the dynamic is finally shifting on TV/Film speculating, but regarding Sandman, that spec has been out there for ages. The initial hype for that one has long past, and the buy in is too high for most casual collectors.

Edited by Tnexus

On 11/30/2022 at 5:15 PM, Tnexus said:

I think the dynamic is finally shifting on TV/Film speculating

I couldn't agree more. I guess I'm trying to distill the shift to a single behavioral change and it seems to be "buy signals" are now "sell signals". That it seems the only way to make money from a comic being picked up for a TV show or movie is to already own before the project is announced.

I finally dropped my subscription to KeyCollector since they really have not been necessary for 6 months or so.  The 20 hot books of the week are getting to be books that have seen a slight uptick in prices and most are $10 books and under.  The service was only $3 a month but when they give nothing of value it's easy to cut the expense.

During bad times "Fool Me one Shame on you, Fool me twice"... applies to many who would have been tricked again and again during whilst a bubble exists.

As much as I like the Sandman covers, many don't and they probably hinder sales

P.S. Also it's DC :) Never speculate on DC, outliers and exceptions are few and far.

Edited by MAR1979

Way back in the 90's Sandman was always over-hyped (from a collectible standpoint, not the writing standpoint - it's deserving of it's popularity) in comic shops: mine, my friends, the few other people I knew abroad. It's always been this way, and even with a great show - the back issues still kind of languish compared to the values of other "hot books". Trying to push Sandman collectibilty was always an uphill battle, even in the days of Wizard.

I always thought (and keep thinking) that Sandman is one of those comics that if people truly want to read it, they go for the collected editions, not the single issues. Perhaps the majority of avid readers of Sandman are not back issue collectors, or completists. You can say Sandman #1 or #8 is the hottest book around and try to drive the value up - but it may not take - I just think that Sandman resides outside the normal comic book collector world.

I'd almost say the same thing about Preacher or Hellblazer. The people I know who love those titles have TPBs and do not collect the issues, even the key ones.

Edited by Dr. Balls