• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Final Grades for Fall Grading Contest
3 3

44 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2022 at 9:38 AM, flashlites said:

I totally wanted to give it a 5.0 especially being a Flash fan and all. But that chew or damage to the bottom left, the inch long staple tear and the eraser taken to the logo!?  :pullhair: All of that pushed me to a 4.5. Notes taken, recalibrating, CGC is really redefining the "Fine" category for me. In the old days, before the grading guides Fine was a much finer category :roflmao:. And I think all those many years of grading that way are just hardwired into me. I have got to rewire. And its nice to know that books from that era can be considered Fine even with some pretty significant defects. I like it but its just tough to fight old habits and requires constant calibration. That is why I am so passionate about these contests. Does anyone else out there remember when Fine was more like todays VF/NM?:preach:

The flash #81 book's tear by the staple is about 1/2 inch long. I was slightly disappointed in the grade though. A highly regarded seller (who I will not mention) had it graded at 6.5, which I thought was too high given the damage to the lower left hand corner.  However it was priced fairly.

On 12/2/2022 at 5:16 PM, Funnybooks said:

Good Clean Fun

That last round was tough...just held on...

Hold On Cat GIF

Congrats! You are amazing!

From now on, I'm sending all my pre-screens to you if you are down...

:popcorn:

On 12/3/2022 at 5:16 AM, frozentundraguy said:

Looking over the final grade distribution chart I found the following.

Captain Midnight #43 was the easiest to grade with 12 contestants nailing the correct grade.

Detective Comics #279 posed the most difficult challenge with only 3 contestants coming up with the right grade.

All books except for World of  Fantasy #17 & Captain Midnight #43  had more guesses below the actual grade received than above. For those two books, there was an equal number of grades above and below the actual grade.

Before starting the contest I wondered if it might be too easy, given that all but one book had grades in the range of 5 to 6.5

Thanks to all who participated, it made this contest a very enjoyable experience. (thumbsu

Thank you for a great contest and your time making it happen! Happy Holidays and God bless!