• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF #72 cracked case 9.4

5 posts in this topic

Hi Boardies

I bought this off EBay in 2016 and I just recently had a look at it. The back of the case has two cracks. The top crack starts on the left side and goes almost all the way over to the other side(1 inch short of the right edge). The bottom crack start on the right edge and also goes almost over to the left side. I don’t remember the cracks being there when I first bought it as it would raise suspicion. 

Is it possible for a book to be replaced/inserted inside the case with these two cracks? 

Being an old label, I believe grading was stricter back in the day. This is a 9.4. Edges look a bit soft. Overall book looks nice, spine is fine. I checked the certification, however no grader notes. 

I’m certainly going to have it reholdered. What happens if I submit for reholder and it’s determined that the book is not as the grade appears on the case? 

Thanks in advance for your thought and comments. 

Warren

22E81230-C742-4BBA-96C4-DC774D9BA2AF.jpeg

A49556D7-C05E-47FF-AEE2-007A6236A88B.jpeg

EE736B29-FB12-49F5-A48F-236E6776977B.jpeg

6884E959-B5C1-4701-810C-1F9D54E19590.jpeg

EA3AADC7-7B17-43B1-9CC1-4620712D35DD.jpeg

3E7B4751-45B2-49A0-9308-0001EAD128DD.jpeg

12A6CA78-736A-4722-9041-1B10022A2B80.jpeg

I don't think the book has been replaced. 

I wonder if it was in a large stack of books and the pressure started to crack the case over time. 

The one cocern I would have the grade is, there appears to be a dirt that residue on the back cover you typically don't see with NM books.  If you resub the book have it cleaned and pressed. 

Thanks Folks,

They are placed standing up in CGC boxes, so as of a few years ago, they were being stored properly.  Perhaps before I ended up getting CGC boxes to store them in, they cracked under improper storage and I didnt realize until a closer look.

I will send to CGC for reholder.  Not sure if sending for Clean/Press/Submission will yield a higher grade than it has now. It might come back lower.

Appreciate all the comments.

On 12/10/2022 at 2:41 PM, wchung said:

Thanks Folks,

They are placed standing up in CGC boxes, so as of a few years ago, they were being stored properly.  Perhaps before I ended up getting CGC boxes to store them in, they cracked under improper storage and I didnt realize until a closer look.

I will send to CGC for reholder.  Not sure if sending for Clean/Press/Submission will yield a higher grade than it has now. It might come back lower.

Appreciate all the comments.

Don't worry, those old cases crack easily. If I was you, I would clean/press it. Based on the pics, my guess is 60% chance stays 9.4, 35% chance 9.6, 5% some other grade. That would be worth the chance.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:59 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Don't worry, those old cases crack easily. If I was you, I would clean/press it. Based on the pics, my guess is 60% chance stays 9.4, 35% chance 9.6, 5% some other grade. That would be worth the chance.

Noted.. I could send it to Joey at CFP and he could advise.

Thanks