• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NY COMICON Guidance / Opinion

3 posts in this topic

Hey all, just want some guidance here. I attended my first comic convention ever, the NY comicon which was held a couple of months ago.

Maybe I was wrong in expecting a comicon to be like a car show or something. Meaning that there would be actual companies setting up booths, there would be all sorts of cool table items given out (show junk really) and people would be dressed as superheroes and such. Rather it was just a bunch of dealers with long selling their comics. Nothing too exciting at all.

Ok maybe I was expecting too much. Now that the next NY comicon is coming this weekend, im debating wheter to go or not. Will this be any different than the last one held a couple of months ago? Am I totally off base here and what I described above never happens?

Thanks!

More so at Wizard World shows and SD than at NYC. Though the upcoming show at the Javits may change that.

With that said,there is much more to the NYC show than just a dealers room. Grab a convention program and look at the various panels and discussions being held that day. The promoters don't really publicize them as well as they could,but there are events going on most of the days.

You want to go to the actual New York "Comicon" in February, the one at the Javits Center. You've been attending the regular New York City local comic book show, the Big Apple Con. While the Big Apple Con has great guests and dealers, it's not a promotional outlet for publishers like the Wizard shows and the San Diego Comicon are, and the New York Comicon will be. The Big Apple show this weekend is their large show which they do every year, but it still doesn't feature much of the stuff you seem most interested in.

- Bill