• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The piece I'd trade my entire OA collection for is...

49 posts in this topic

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not sure I'd be willing to give it all up for one piece. I've spent many years collecting pieces from my favorite artists. I've paid special attention to pick up pieces that not only move me but are from what I consider to be their artistic peaks.

Nevertheless if I could trade it all for one piece it would have to be the Amazing Spider-Man #1 cover by Kirby and Ditko. That cover always wows me when I see it.

I remember wanting a copy of the comic as a kid. It could be had by a dealer in NJ for $35 in mint condition. I begged my dad for months to buy it for me. Finally on my birthday he agreed. I must have read it a hundred times. It's not in mint anymore. Over the years dad started paying attention to it's value. He now agrees we should have bought many more copies.

What the piece you'd give it all up for?

Glen Brunswick

the piece I would give it all up for probably doesn't even exist anymore and it is a toss up but either the art to adventure 40 or the unpublished art to the cover of detective # 2. Creig Flessel is awesome. honestly when it comes to golden age creators it is will eisner creig flessel and bill finger.

I got the piece of art I wanted more than any other... the cover to Flash 323, the one that got me hooked on Carmine Infantino art and the Flash. I had wanted it so badly after I learned of the original art hobby and said it would never surface, but, thank God, it did. I was searching www.comicartfans.com and Jim Cardillo had it on his site. He was gracious enough to trade it to me for art and cash and kept the cost low enough that I could afford it and still eat!

I never imagined the art still existed, or I figured it was tucked neatly away in someone's bank vault, never to be seen by me or anyone else.

The piece has very special meaning to me, since my Granny bought it for me while I was suffering from the flu. She bought it for me to help cheer me up. I still have the exact copy she bought for me, plus a few better condition copies, to boot.

I posed the question once: Where do you go after you've found your grail?

After I'd gotten it framed behind UV protected glass, I hung it on the wall of my comic book room and, hopefully, that's where it'll stay until the day I die.

Infantino's image of Flash vs. Reverse Flash is so powerful and stands the test of time as a cover I believe to be worthy of the term "classic."

There's not many modern age covers I think are worthy of that designation, but this one is.

I was even blessed to get my other favorite cover, Steve Lightle's Doom Patrol No. 1, and my third favorite cover, the Jack Kirby art to Super Powers Vol. 1 No. 2 with Superman and Flash getting blasted by Lex Luthor by Kirby and Mike Royer.

Like I said, I'm truly blessed to have gotten the three most important pieces of art I could imagine owning.

I grew up mostly in the 1980s, so it's 1980s art that attracts me, moreso than Silver Age art or even art from the '70s. 996446-FLASH323CI.jpg

996446-FLASH323CI.jpg.ac5989682f925bad5a1d3b5208a2cccf.jpg

Being a new collector I don't have much to trade however if I had to own only one piece, for me it would have to be the cover to Secret Wars 1. That's about when I started collecting comics and was one of the first series I bought.

It's just such a cool, iconic cover with so many of the Marvel heroes on it. It would look so nice framed on the wall. smile.gif

My grail would have to be the original cover art to Fantastic Four #166,the first book I rememeber digging a quarter out of my pocket for! Then the cover to FF #55 (The Thing vs. The Silver Surfer,just classic!)...and I believe the same guy (Bill Woo) owns both covers! Atleast I know they are out there!!

My grail would have to be the original cover art to Fantastic Four #166,the first book I rememeber digging a quarter out of my pocket for! Then the cover to FF #55 (The Thing vs. The Silver Surfer,just classic!)...and I believe the same guy (Bill Woo) owns both covers! Atleast I know they are out there!!

Stand in line for the 166. Bechara owns it, sale price $15K. foreheadslap.gif

Outside of Fables art, it would have to be the cover to Amazing Spider-Man 252...the first comic I ever paid more than cover price for. Just a fantastic cover, and a nice homage to AF 15. Sadly, it's also a VERY expensive piece, so even if it does become available at some point, chances are I'll lose out to someone with deeper pockets.

Outside of Fables art, it would have to be the cover to Amazing Spider-Man 252...the first comic I ever paid more than cover price for. Just a fantastic cover, and a nice homage to AF 15. Sadly, it's also a VERY expensive piece, so even if it does become available at some point, chances are I'll lose out to someone with deeper pockets.

Bill Woo have an ask price on it ?

I just got one of them -- a Kirby Grail -- the 2nd chapter splash of Strange Tales 89. So my Ditko grail that I would trade it all for would be the cover to ASM 21. I love that cover -- to me it is everything you want in a spidey cover: a great ditko image of a twisting, upside down spidey, an awesome beetle image, and the torch thrown in for good measure!

asm21.jpg

Bill Woo have an ask price on it ?

No, he currently has no plans to part with it.

The pieces that I would have given up my entire OA collection for and still might are the pg.1 splash to X-Men 1 & Avengers 1. If I owned both of those. It might keep me happy for awhile.

Clem...

Not entirely sure that I'd give up all of my collection, but I'd certainly relinquish a fair bit for Ditko's cover art to SPIDER-MAN # 18 (which is rumoured to exist?).

Funnily enough, I'm not necessarily attracted to # 1s. Given that, for example, there's only one original to every cover created - I prefer image over earliest appearance considerations.

During the Russ Cochran EC Art Auctions of the 1980s, # 1 covers of the various EC titles didn't always achieve high prices, whereas the strongest cover images did.

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865