• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The piece I'd trade my entire OA collection for is...

49 posts in this topic

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Issue 3, pg. 42

I'm not near a copy, what's the page?

Batman just surprised the Joker in the House of Mirrors and they fight - the Joker escapes when Batman encounters a little boy saying:

"BATMAN - He's getting away -- get up. You got to kick his..."

to which Batman interupts and says,

"--watch your language son..."

After that, it would be pg. 47 with the bottom half splash of Batman holding his stab wound as the Joker lay dead with a batterang in his eye...

But with the relative difficulty of getting ahold of any decent page, I wouldn't kick any page with Batman 'outta bed' to turn a phrase...

Y'know, I have thought about this long and hard.... which is strange in itself. But, I think I would have a shot at owning a real and true grail... but, I've pretty much decided that I can't ever trade in the whole shootin' match for one piece. I just like too much stuff! I guess that's why even though I feel like my collection is done, I still manage to toss more money at this thing almost weekly!! Aaarrgh... 893whatthe.gif

Y'know, I have thought about this long and hard.... which is strange in itself. But, I think I would have a shot at owning a real and true grail... but, I've pretty much decided that I can't ever trade in the whole shootin' match for one piece. I just like too much stuff! I guess that's why even though I feel like my collection is done, I still manage to toss more money at this thing almost weekly!! Aaarrgh... 893whatthe.gif

Dan,

I totally feel the same about my collection. I've got everything I wanted, my top 3 favorite pieces, the cover to the first comic I ever owned, and a whole bunch of covers and pages from comics I fondly remember from my childhood.

I occasionally see something I really, really like, but it's not too often that I feel like I can't live without something.

There's a piece of art that's on its way to me that I actually worried about getting, but, thank God, I was able to complete the trade and it should be arriving any day now. I'll show that piece when it arrives. Don't want to jinx anything. I'm definitely exited about getting it. It's a splash from my favorite comic series by the two artists I consider the definitive art team on the book (and there were some great artists who worked on the comic).

Other than that, I've truly been blessed to get the art I wanted most of all.

On a side note... one of the pieces of comic art I wanted more than anything else was a Steve Bissette/John Totleben Bizarre Adventures page. I searched and searched for it on the internet and even got in touch with Bissette and he said the page was long gone. After a few years of searching, it turned up on eBay and I bought it for far less than I was willing to pay for it. I've attached a scan of the page. I loved the female in the water. I was only a child and thought she was very beautiful, so, this was the page I sought out. Turns out, Bissette had given the page to New England Comics several years ago and that was who I bought it from! 997610-bissettetotleben.jpg

997610-bissettetotleben.jpg.40a0a46b0a7724b40f615c78a1d5ead8.jpg

FF1 cover, if I owned any OA that is tongue.gif

I'm surprised to have two people mention asm 1 - I always thought that was a pretty bad cover. The AF15 cover is much nicer IMO (if it exists - don't know. Even so some of the other spidey covers are much nicer than the #1).

FF1 cover, if I owned any OA that is tongue.gif

I'm surprised to have two people mention asm 1 - I always thought that was a pretty bad cover. The AF15 cover is much nicer IMO (if it exists - don't know. Even so some of the other spidey covers are much nicer than the #1).

Yeah, the original poster made it clear he has a sentimental attachment to that particular book, but I was wondering if KK made his choice because the ASM 1 is known to exist and the existence of the AF 15 is unknown (or is it?).

Yeah, the original poster made it clear he has a sentimental attachment to that particular book, but I was wondering if KK made his choice because the ASM 1 is known to exist and the existence of the AF 15 is unknown (or is it?).

KK made his choice based on how much the page is worth, which seems to be his sole OA motivation. That is why he picked ASM #1 over other more artistically apealing covers in the run. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's funny, since I posted this I've been checking out many of the other Ditko Spider-Man covers that I like. And I have to say that ASM 1 is less dynamic then many other choices such as AF 15, ASM 21, 16, 17, 18, 19, 27, 29, 20, 23, 25. These are all great. Still the ASM 1 has Spidey and the FF in the first crossover cover at Marvel. When I look at it I feel its the moment that the Marvel Universe and Spidey was born. I never get tired of looking at it.

Glen

When I look at it I feel its the moment that the Marvel Universe and Spidey was born. I never get tired of looking at it.

Glen

Errr.... wouldn't AF15 be the moment Spidey was born? And FF1 be the moment the Marvel Universe was born? tongue.gifscrewy.gif

Still, I hear you, there's nothing like the impression that artwork makes on you as a child. takeit.gifsmile.gif