• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn Goodness - Low Print Spawn
2 2

21 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2022 at 10:30 PM, captainzombie said:

Totally agree with you on the writing. It has been some of the weakest at times, but the art is insanely beautiful. I got back into collecting about 2 years ago after being a lapsed collector for 15 years. Spawn was one of the titles I went back to to collect. Instead of trying to get the whole run like I was, I switched focus and started hunting down the keys. I did send in plenty of the homage issues from the early 200's and got 9.8 on those. My focus is now to just get the Spawn keys and keep hoping the 1st appearance of GS Spawn (already have 119 in 9.6, but looking for 174 in 9.8) does drop a bit to add that. 

Gunslinger has become one of my biggest favorites to come out of this series.

On 12/17/2022 at 11:35 PM, jazawlacki said:

Gunslinger is a great character. Sent off two 174s and got a 9.6 and 9.8 back. Beyond pleased. Also sent 119s and got a 9.6 in newsstand and a regular in 9.8.

I'm curious if Scorched, King, and Gunslinger will maintain their popularity. I think if they hit 100 issues it would speak a lot to the characters and the staying power of Spawn. I keep thinking of Dave Sim's Cerebus as a point of comparison and how no one really collects it except for the early issues. Would that happen to Spawn if McFarlane steps away again? Not to sound morbid, but what happens to the character when he dies?

Yeah, the writing is generally known to be lacking a bit, but as I've been rereading the entire run I find it so entertaining with some great ideas. Not to mention Capullo's wonderful storytelling abilities in all that he does with his penciling. The fact that he and McFarlane were so consistent for so long is just awesome and as a fan I truly appreciate it, especially since I'm such a fan of their work. Now we can go back and relish hundreds of issues that they collaborated on in this epic run.

Oh, and in terms of storytelling, issue 179 has to be my single favorite issue I've ever read of Spawn, and it's up there in my top five of single issues of all time. The origin of War Spawn is absolutely amazing as a single issue story in the comics medium. David Hine and Mike Mayhew absolutely killed it with that issue and it will forever be one of my favorite issues in all of comics . Gunslinger is dope too, but in my opinion it's not even close to War Spawn. 

And hopefully the other titles stay around for years to come! I have to catch up on all of them.