• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a copy of Nebula #3 (2020) ...Which doesn't exist?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

So, this is interesting.

Not my copy, but it's my photo. A friend of mine bought a long box of random modern comics and found this in it. Of course I told him to get it graded; regardless of the grade, it would be presumably authenticated, and the only one on the census. Anyone ever hear of this issue popping up anywhere?

IMG_1695.jpg

On 12/19/2022 at 8:48 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Wow! Even on the Marvel Fandom site, it says, "This comic will not be released. It was canceled prior to its release date."

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Nebula_Vol_1_3

Yup! Never made it to any distributors as far as I know. Didn't think it was even printed until today. My best guess is that some got thrown into Wal-Mart packs or something? Can't imagine any other way someone could have it and not know what they had.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:50 AM, Skwerl said:

Yup! Never made it to any distributors as far as I know. Didn't think it was even printed until today. My best guess is that some got thrown into Wal-Mart packs or something? Can't imagine any other way someone could have it and not know what they had.

There are a few shopping sites online that have/had listings for it, but all say "Out of Stock" and it's unclear whether they ever actually had stock - it's more likely they generated a page based on previews but never actually got stock to sell. Westfield has an "add to cart" button, but it won't actually let you add one to a cart: https://westfieldcomics.com/comic-books/Nebula/20020266

You're probably right, something else to look for in the older Wal-Mart packs. I have a few I was going to keep sealed, but here's another argument for opening them up...

Edit to add: This article states that 3 was "completed," and 4 was "completely drawn" at the time of cancellation: https://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-comics-nebula-title-canceled-after-year-plus-hiatus/

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 12/19/2022 at 10:24 AM, ygogolak said:

Your friend is likely to get his hands on that to read it. Judging from the other reading material, for the stories of course.

Hah. Oh, right. I took the pic in my house, which is basically a 1977 bachelor pad decorated by me & my flaming lesbian bff.

I suppose anything is possible, but from what I was told, I don't think a comp copy is likely. There certainly could be some out there (and I'll be sure and ask if I ever run into anyone who worked on the book), but this was found in a long box of modern comics filled by a particular local collector that I know of, who sold it to my buddy for next to nothing. My buddy didn't want to alert the collector and so I'm respecting that decision and not outing him or approaching him. But if that collector bought this comic individually, I can't imagine that not he nor the seller would call out its significance and keep it out of a long box of junk. I feel like it's far more likely he bought a bunch of Wal-Mart packs or something, and didn't realize that it was anything special as he flipped through looking for known ratios or whatever.

I could be totally wrong, but that's my instinct.

If I saw that before seeing this post I wouldn't know that is was something special.  After seeing this I have filed it into my brain to keep an eye out for.  A book that was not supposed to be released, but a copy is in someones hand and verified is pretty interesting.  It would be insane to find out if this was 1:1, but I doubt it.