• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Scorpion 1
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I'm a fan of collecting creators' career landmarks, even if the books themselves might be obscure or sought after. I got Chaykin to sketch/sign a Marvel Super Action with Dominic Fortune & it got me thinking about the models for this character. I have this Scorpion 1 for future consideration. I did notice a small piece out of one internal page. I also skimmed through ebay for books that came through the HC signing this summer. 8.5 is the highest grade I found, and I added a link of that book for reference purposes (https://www.ebay.com/itm/185604769893). I'm a bit shocked at the grade with the amount of color loss in the black. It does seem to be quite common with this book. The black space does offer a nice area for sketching IMO.

Scorpion-1.jpg

Scorpion-1rev.jpg

PXL_20221221_031136214.jpg

Edited by scburdet

Minor spine stress with couple of small dents/spine ticks, slight staples tears at the top staple, color rub on front cover, piece missing from interior page outer edge.

How does CGC view the missing piece? (shrug) These are the things that make grading difficult since there are no black and white answers on how much something like this affects the grade of a higher grade book, seems to me that this would be based on opinion and any precedents from past or present grading.  Maybe someone that has purchased the new "CGC Grading Guide" can check and shed some light on this.

IMO, the black cover is working against you, however, even with the piece missing I would grade the book at a...

9.2 NEAR MINT- (NM-):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only a minor additional defect or defects that keep it from Near Mint. A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with only the slightest dimming of reflectivity. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with outstanding eye appeal. A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is almost flat with almost imperceptible wear. Inks are bright with slightly diminished reflectivity. An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted but no creases. Several lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable. Very minor foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Only the slightest staple tears are allowed. A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly imperceptible. Paper is off-white to cream and supple. Very minor interior tears may be present.

On 12/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, marvelmaniac said:

How does CGC view the missing piece?

According to the new book, a comic with a missing piece can grade from 0.5-9.8. I'd say they gave themselves a lot of leeway with that wide range (shrug) 

If you asked me to guess, I would say the missing piece wouldn't affect the grade at the condition for the rest of the book. I am particularly intrigued by this book now b/c absent other information, I might be closer to @AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice  but the 8.5 for sale definitely has a worse looking cover so (shrug) 

If there's another HC signing someday, I might window that bottom left block for a sign/sketch (unless I find a nicer copy for a price like I paid for this one sometime between now & then).

On 12/21/2022 at 4:17 PM, scburdet said:

According to the new book, a comic with a missing piece can grade from 0.5-9.8. I'd say they gave themselves a lot of leeway with that wide range (shrug) 

That is the problem with grading issues such as this, there are no clear answers, it all comes down to opinion and what type of mood the grader(s) are in, if you submitted this book today you may not lose anything for the missing piece, however you could have a 1 point or more deduction if you submitted the book 3 months later, it is due to this consistency that everyone loves CGC. :preach::baiting: 

If this were my book and I had to grade and catalog the book for my collection it would be graded at a lower grade with a notation next to the grade stating..." would be a ___ except for the "1/2 x 1/2" piece missing from page ___.

Not exactly a "Grade is in' update, but closure on this particular topic. I acquired another copy of this book based on the PGM feedback. The submitted book looked slightly better raw & didn't have an internal page chipped. This was my plan from the beginning.