• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible #1 Variants
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have always loved invincible and read most of the run week to week but the early part of my run is pretty well read/lower grade. 

I was looking at 9.8’s of #1 which have skyrocketed since I last checked - I assume due to the show. 

a few quick questions. 

1) Why is the Larry’s Variant so much cheaper than A cover when it has a much lower print run. 

2) What’s your opinion of the Whatnot/Kirkham variants and their high prices. LOVE the art but still feels odd seeing a reprint so high in price.

3) Speaking of reprints - is there a reason the Skybound Vault variants don’t do better ?  If I recall black label had something like - 200~400 print run?

4) any other variants anyone likes or I should take a look at?

This is for PC purposes and not a flip most likely a sale would be down the road if at all.  

1. The vast majority of the time, Cover A is the cover to have since it is the one people usually want for "complete" runs.

2. Anything with a high price tag on it and associated with Whatnot only has that price tag because of the drivel on that app that hype things up solely for the purpose of moving inventory.  Personally, I'd stay away from them.

I just don’t get why the Larry’s comic variant is so undervalued given it has nearly the same cover and a definite more limited print run. I know 1A is the king for many reasons - and then the later sky bound variants are printed much later but seems like it may be undervalued. 

Is it due to it being published months after the original release ?

Edited by JoeBrrr

On 1/21/2023 at 11:17 PM, JoeBrrr said:

I just don’t get why the Larry’s comic variant is so undervalued given it has nearly the same cover and a definite more limited print run. I know 1A is the king for many reasons - and then the later sky bound variants are printed much later but seems like it may be undervalued. 

Is it due to it being published months after the original release ?

Yes, and it was "concentrated" in its geography. They were all Larry's. It's hard to convince people that they should shell out $1,000 for books that someone selling them once had cases stacked right beside them. Invincible #1 (not Larry's) was just a regular comic, spread all around the world to retailers who didn't think much of it at the time. It was another Image #1, like hundreds of others, and those copies settled into new homes like nuggets of gold in mountains of dirt. A natural occurrence. Retailer exclusive books never have a natural lifespan, and they are "monopolized" from the start.

Retailer exclusive comic book value in the market isn't a reflection of an organic growth from "obscure book spread out in the world somewhere" to "in demand but not in hand".

They're the kind of books where the market can see a response like "oh, that book is valuable now? Well break out another case of 200 copies to sell" with no end in sight.

On 1/23/2023 at 12:11 PM, Lazyboy said:

Invincible 1 doesn't have variants, just reprints.

See I agree I just thought given it being the 2003 too Larry’s was diff but I didn’t know the full story. 

those Kirkham being that expensive is mind bending.