• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Color Break Creases allowed in NM grade comics?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2023 at 10:52 AM, finalfan7asy said:

I own a Wolverine LS #3 that was graded a 9.8 with 5 color break spine ticks (4 on the front and 1 on the back cover). (shrug)

Wolverine #3.jpg

Wolverine #3-2.jpg

Wolverine #3-3.jpg

Wolverine #3-4.jpg

I've had different results from CGC for this type of damage.  In one submission of 25 books with this type of damage, I usually got a 9.0 or 9.2.  In my latest submission of 25 books, I got many 9.6s and 9.8s, although with somewhat smaller effects than pictured in this thread (you can see a montage of this submission in the Back From CGC thread).  So, is it different graders, or different standards at different times?  I don't know.

Here's one theory I have has a presser.  Fresh off the press, these types of bends tend to disappear as a result of the press, and with careful handling will stay hidden.  But the slightest force in the wrong direction can reintroduce them.  It's possible that these books are handled carefully all the way through the grader, and then maybe the forces get applied during later handling and encapsulation and the bends reappear.

On 10/30/2023 at 5:56 PM, Tom789 said:

I've had different results from CGC for this type of damage.  In one submission of 25 books with this type of damage, I usually got a 9.0 or 9.2.  In my latest submission of 25 books, I got many 9.6s and 9.8s, although with somewhat smaller effects than pictured in this thread (you can see a montage of this submission in the Back From CGC thread).  So, is it different graders, or different standards at different times?  I don't know.

Here's one theory I have has a presser.  Fresh off the press, these types of bends tend to disappear as a result of the press, and with careful handling will stay hidden.  But the slightest force in the wrong direction can reintroduce them.  It's possible that these books are handled carefully all the way through the grader, and then maybe the forces get applied during later handling and encapsulation and the bends reappear.

These spine ticks and bends were not present prior to sending the book to CGC. I sent it back at no cost for a press and regrade, but it remained a 9.8. The photo below shows the spine ticks and bends prior to the press and regrade in its slab before going back to CGC.

IMG_9140.jpeg

On 10/31/2023 at 1:47 AM, finalfan7asy said:

These spine ticks and bends were not present prior to sending the book to CGC. I sent it back at no cost for a press and regrade, but it remained a 9.8. The photo below shows the spine ticks and bends prior to the press and regrade in its slab before going back to CGC.

For comparison, here is the "worst" spine tick, IMO, from my submission.  First is the official CGC image, second is my photo.  This tick was present when submitted, but it wasn't "bendy".

CGC4336565-021_OBV.thumb.jpg.286fd456c109d46c43b2d8549817e5e1.jpg

20231031_125831.thumb.jpg.924307251ec4f8a14e69ced6170b0a38.jpg

Edited by Tom789
Clarification.

On 10/31/2023 at 3:07 PM, Tom789 said:

For comparison, here is the "worst" spine tick, IMO, from my submission.  First is the official CGC image, second is my photo.  This tick was present when submitted, but it wasn't "bendy".

CGC4336565-021_OBV.thumb.jpg.286fd456c109d46c43b2d8549817e5e1.jpg

20231031_125831.thumb.jpg.924307251ec4f8a14e69ced6170b0a38.jpg

I have other slabs with spine ticks without any noticeable bend issues. I’m curious if other people had similar experiences with these impressions appearing after sending in their books. I'm just surprised they allowed mine to retain its 9.8 grade.