• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Time Submitting to CGC Issues
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I submitted 15 comics to CGC for grading and 6 came back with issues. 

Five of the comics have Newton Rings right in the center of the front cover. Is this something covered for reholdering? How many Newton rings are too many? The rest of the books have none or very minimal, so it seems to be possible not to have them. 

The biggest issue I have is my Zelda 1 came back with the case separating at the top right corner. It snaps back in kind of, but will separate with the smallest of movements. 

I'm not very impressed with this first order, but perhaps in an order of 15 this can happen. 

Would this be covered under mechanical error and will I have to pay shipping to CGC and back to me? 16721983050171976418450498841544.thumb.jpg.032af263a7de546c9a0e64ea6afa1b1b.jpg

PXL_20221228_034216305.thumb.jpg.922dc6d88c85413a4506b753f00d0134.jpg

Edited by Kaikou

• Administrator
On 12/28/2022 at 9:37 AM, Kaikou said:

I emailed submissions@cgccomics.com as I had seen @CGC Mike recommend that to others. 

Hopefully they can get back to me in a timely fashion, otherwise guess they might be shipped back next week. 

If you don't get a reply in a timely fashion, send me a PM before returning them to us.  

On 12/27/2022 at 10:35 PM, Kaikou said:

I submitted 15 comics to CGC for grading and 6 came back with issues. 

Five of the comics have Newton Rings right in the center of the front cover. Is this something covered for reholdering? How many Newton rings are too many? The rest of the books have none or very minimal, so it seems to be possible not to have them. 

The biggest issue I have is my Zelda 1 came back with the case separating at the top right corner. It snaps back in kind of, but will separate with the smallest of movements. 

I'm not very impressed with this first order, but perhaps in an order of 15 this can happen. 

Would this be covered under mechanical error and will I have to pay shipping to CGC and back to me? 16721983050171976418450498841544.thumb.jpg.032af263a7de546c9a0e64ea6afa1b1b.jpg

PXL_20221228_034216305.thumb.jpg.922dc6d88c85413a4506b753f00d0134.jpg

Just curious, what grade did the Zelda get?

Yes if the newton rings are bad enough they would qualify as a free adjustment and they fix them. Ive heard some have luck sliding in some plastic to separate it but never have tried.  The zelda they would do a free techincal repair as well.

• Administrator
On 12/29/2022 at 11:58 AM, Cor88b said:

Yes if the newton rings are bad enough they would qualify as a free adjustment and they fix them. Ive heard some have luck sliding in some plastic to separate it but never have tried.  The zelda they would do a free techincal repair as well.

Generally speaking, we require images for newton rings before sending them in to us.   If we deem them "bad enough", we will approve sending them in. 

On 12/29/2022 at 11:18 AM, CGC Mike said:

Generally speaking, we require images for newton rings before sending them in to us.   If we deem them "bad enough", we will approve sending them in. 

Correct. Ive had one approved and just decided to not worry about it but you would know better about the process than me lol.

@Kaikou Hey did you ever get a resolution on this?  I also just received an ebay order where it looks similar to your that the post corner is separating?  To the rest of the group, would you consider this broken or needing a reholding / re-encapsulation?  What would you do if you were me?  Let it go, get a refund?  The seller did offer a 25 dollar refund for the reholder process but I would still be out shipping.  For those curious, this is a Web of Spiderman #1, 9.8.    PIcs below... 

ebay1.PNG

ebay2.PNG

ebay3.PNG

For anyone looking, I had a glaring Newton Ring on a recent SS book, emailed submissions@ and was told that Newton Rings are an 'acceptable defect' (but I can pay CGC to reholder the book, of course) - which to me is bananas - apparently the highest tier grading service can send something obviously sub-par back to the customer... 

image.jpeg.dc5b56f283a03f084ef1377755c25f76.jpeg

It's disappointing - especially if the Rings are blatantly obvious - but it seems the current policy is: 'too bad' (that'll be extra for a reholder though!)

On 5/8/2023 at 3:53 PM, dbcn said:

Newton Rings are an 'acceptable defect'

On 5/8/2023 at 3:53 PM, dbcn said:

it seems the current policy is: 'too bad' (that'll be extra for a reholder though!)

yep

shame.jpg

Edited by Gaard