• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 3: FIRE starring Sam Worthington (2025)

17 posts in this topic

In an interview with the French outlet 20 Minutes, as reported by The Direct, Cameron explained that Avatar 3 will introduce a whole new group of Na'vi: the Ash people. He said, "I want to reveal the Nav'is from another angle because, for the moment, I have only shown their good sides... In the early films, there are very negative human examples and very positive Navi's examples. In Avatar 3, we'll do the reverse. We will also explore new universes while continuing the story of the main characters." The director gave fans even more of a reason to be excited about upcoming Avatar films, teasing "the last parts will be the best," and that "The others were an introduction, a way to set the table before serving the meal. But, obviously, everything will depend on how Avatar 2 will be received, if it will find its audience."

Cameron previously said that the Avatar franchise will only continue if the second and third installments make money. He revealed the "scripts are already written" and "everything's designed" in case The Way of Water is a box office hit.

Edited by Bosco685

In James Cameron’s “Avatar” and “Avatar: The Way of Water,” moviegoers are introduced to two different Na’vi clans, the forest-dwelling Omaticaya and the water-dwelling Metkayina. Both tribes are peaceful and only resort to violence when their land is seized upon by humans. However, audiences might soon find out that not all Na’vi are good Na’vi. James Cameron told France’s “20 Minutes” (via Total Film) that the next installment, the still-untitled “Avatar 3,” will introduce a third clan of Pandora that shows off the Na’vi’s darker side.

Cameron said “Avatar 3” will explore “different cultures from those I have already shown. The fire will be represented by the ‘Ash People.’ I want to show the Na’vi from another angle because, so far, I have only shown their good sides.”

“In the early films, there are very negative human examples and very positive Na’vi examples,” the director continued. “In ‘Avatar 3,’ we will do the opposite. We will also explore new worlds, while continuing the story of the main characters. I can say that the last parts will be the best. The others were an introduction, a way to set the table before serving the meal.”

While the first two “Avatar” movies centered on conflicts between Na’vi tribes and humans, it appears the third movie will find Na’vi facing off against Na’vi for the first time in the franchise. Perhaps the fire tribe will turn against Jake Sully due to the destruction his presence on Pandora has caused thus far.

Cameron has already finished production on “Avatar 3,” which is scheduled to hit theaters on Dec. 20, 2024. Should the filmmaker extend the franchise all the way to “Avatar 5,” then the Na’vi will come to Earth. Producer Jon Landau revealed as much before “The Way of Water” opened in theaters.

With Avatar 3 already done, this would suggest that Cameron will get the go-ahead to make the next two movies, and that reality seems to only be dawning on him now. As seen in a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter.

"It looks like just with the momentum that the film has now that will easily pass our break even in the next few days, so it looks like I can't wiggle out of this, I'm gonna have to do these other sequels," Cameron said. "I know what I'm going to be doing the next six or seven years. The point is we're going to be okay. I'm sure that we'll have a discussion soon with with the top folks at Disney about the game plan going forward for Avatar 3, which is already in the can – we've already captured and photographed the whole film so we're in extended post-production to do all that CG magic. And then Avatar 4 and 5 are both written. We even have some of 4 in the can. We've begun a franchise at this point. We've begun a saga that can now play out over multiple films."

I'm confused.

I thought they basically shot all of Avatar 3 (the quote was "80-90%") already while shooting Avatar 2.

Especially if a "9-hour cut" is either planned or already exists.

So why push it back a year?

Does Disney hate money?

On 6/14/2023 at 5:20 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I'm confused.

I thought they basically shot all of Avatar 3 (the quote was "80-90%") already while shooting Avatar 2.

Especially if a "9-hour cut" is either planned or already exists.

So why push it back a year?

Does Disney hate money?

A company which produces significant profits because of a "one-time situation" (such as releasing two Avatar movies in the same year), is setting itself up for "failure" every time they can't meet those numbers again... and instead of multiple years of "success", you end up with one year of "great success" and then years of "failure" that follow... because pushing it back a year is only dumb for a minute. Releasing two in the same year is dumb forever. lol

EDIT: Nevermind - they're pushing it to 2025, so yeah, that's dumb now and forever. :insane:

Edited by valiantman

James Cameron described post-production on “Avatar 3″ as “hectic” during a recent New Zealand press conference moderated by 1News chief correspondent John Campbell. Cameron used the discussion to celebrate New Zealand as his main production hub, announcing his plan to make movies there “indefinitely” and revealing that he will finally become a New Zealand citizen in 2024. Cameron has been working in New Zealand since 2005, when the first “Avatar” movie started development.

“We’re into a very hectic two years of post-production right now,” Cameron confirmed when asked about the third “Avatar” movie. “So it will be Christmas of 2025.”

Disney announced in June that Cameron’s three upcoming “Avatar” sequels were being pushed back on the release calendar yet again, extending the franchise into 2031. The studio, which acquired the franchise after its merger with Fox, had originally planned to release Cameron’s additional “Avatar” sequels two years apart from one another, with the third movie arriving in 2024. But now “Avatar 3” is opening on Dec. 19, 2025; “Avatar 4” on Dec. 21, 2029; and “Avatar 5” on Dec. 19, 2031. Based on this timeline, the final “Avatar” movie will premiere 22 years after the original 2009 blockbuster.

In case any wayward soul comes along to note, "I thought a majority of the film was done right behind Avatar 2."

:nyah:

Chinese studio Bona Film Group has struck a deal with U.S. financier TSG Entertainment Finance to invest in a slate of upcoming Hollywood franchise movies. The deal is understood to include upcoming “Avatar” and “Deadpool” titles.

“We are very excited to continue our eight-year partnership with TSG,” said Yu, Bona’s founder, chairman and CEO. “Through this expanded venture, Bona will become a new participant via TSG in the ‘Avatar’ and ‘Deadpool’ franchise and continue our involvement in ‘The Planet of The Apes’ and ‘Alien’ franchise in addition to many other dynamic upcoming films.”