• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Often Do You See Daredevil #158?

51 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2023 at 7:14 PM, tth2 said:
On 2/25/2023 at 3:18 PM, kimik said:
On 1/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, tth2 said:

It's super common.  There's no such thing as a rare or scarce Marvel Copper book.

What about 30/35 cent price variants like SW #1? I think they would be the only scarce BA books (which DD #158 technically is).

Okay, but that's artificial scarcity.

But scarce nonetheless.............. 

158 is a pretty lame book in terms of art and story.  But Miller quickly found his Krigstein (who had done GA wildcat a heavy “influence” on DD) influenced art style and that made the book explode. By DD 164 Miller, with McKenzie scripts and KJ inks, was blowing everyone away with his “Master Race” homage. At that point the fan press in articles like RC Harvey’s “The Visual Elan of Frank Miller’s Daredevil” in CJ were  viewing his work as something special and we were all buying the Miller run.  

Personally, I think it was Byrne and Miller who (along with inflating prices) who really made “run collecting” a bigger thing than completest collecting. After all, who wanted a run of DD.

I can see what is meant by this being difficult to just find. Mainly because its a series that a random person who collected comics probably did not pick up..so finding it in a collection from the time is rarer. As for at shops, because of its affordability (and desirability...I mean when I went into DD collecting a decade ago, that arc was where I started), it makes sense why you don't often see them in shops. I assume shops are smart and when they do get one, they price it properly so it sells.

Now that you mention it do not see that issue very often when hunting through long boxes.  Tons and tons of copies in the 180s but 158 just doesn't pop up very often.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, Phicks said:

I arrived home from vacation to find my DD 158 waiting for me.  

Congratulations on getting your 158! It's a great feeling to finally catch a book you've been chasing for awhile.

I'm right there with you tonight. After losing multiple, multiple auctions over the last five years, I finally scored a copy of 163 in 9.8 tonight. That's another tough book in the run. According to GPA, three copies sold in 2021 and two copies sold in 2014. Every other year since 2004 has seen either 1 or 0 copies for sale. Frankly (no pun intended), I was sick of fighting over that book.

I’ve been trying to put together the Frank Miller DD run in CGC 9.8. I’m down to the last four - and you just don’t see them. 162, 163, 165 and 171. Now these are hard to get

If anyone has one that they are willing to part with, please DM me! 

On 3/4/2023 at 8:05 AM, Efrew said:

I’ve been trying to put together the Frank Miller DD run in CGC 9.8. I’m down to the last four - and you just don’t see them. 162, 163, 165 and 171. Now these are hard to get

If anyone has one that they are willing to part with, please DM me! 

If your OCD is less than mine, I've got some good news for you. CGC doesn't consider DD 162 to be part of the Miller set, since it was a fill-in issue by Michael Fleisher and Steve Ditko. If you purchase that book, you won't be able to put it in the set because CGC doesn't have a slot for it. So now you only need three books to complete the set! Congratulations!

If, on the other hand, skipping an issue causes you to grind your teeth, as it did me, you're back to needing 162 whether you can put it in the set or not.

On 3/5/2023 at 10:41 AM, Off Panel said:

If your OCD is less than mine, I've got some good news for you. CGC doesn't consider DD 162 to be part of the Miller set, since it was a fill-in issue by Michael Fleisher and Steve Ditko. If you purchase that book, you won't be able to put it in the set because CGC doesn't have a slot for it. So now you only need three books to complete the set! Congratulations!

If, on the other hand, skipping an issue causes you to grind your teeth, as it did me, you're back to needing 162 whether you can put it in the set or not.

Oh right. Didn’t know about 162! Although I’ll still search for it.

Actually, all my comics are also White pages, but for the last 4, I’ll be happy to look past it