• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*Grade Is In!* PGM: Wolverine 1 (1982)
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Here's the next book--this one is kind of a bummer because it looks great, I think, except for two maybe 1mm square chip on the bottom of the front and back cover. Could these be gripper holes? Does that happen with covers? And how much would that affect grade? The only reason I think they might be is that they are similar size and on both covers, and on the back cover to the left of the chip you can kind of see another similar spot (but much tinier). Anyway, I'll leave it to the community, since I'm not seasoned in these matters. (One other note: there are a few very small (1-2mm) spine ticks on the back cover that are hard to see in the scans because of the book being white. Thanks again all! I have a couple more books that I will post in the coming days.

Wolverine1.jpg

Wolverine2.jpg

Wolverine3.jpg

Wolverine4.jpg

Wolverine5.jpg

Wolverine6.jpg

Wolverine7.jpg

Wolverine8.jpg

Wolverine9.jpg

Wolverine10.jpg

Wolverine11.jpg

Wolverine12.jpg

Edited by Nsschenks

Covers can have gripper holes, which are production and are therefore treated less harshly than handling defects. I'm not convinced the chip out of the back cover is a gripper hole. I'm less skeptical of the one on the front b/c it looks like it lines up with the ones inside. It is however lower on the page. Someone with more expertise will comment. I'll call this is 9.2±0.2

But it needs to be C&P'd first largely because of that long back cover crease.

The front cover damage does look like gripper holes but I don't think it's a common manufacturing defect for this issue. Still, it shouldn't affect the grade much.

Thanks for posting.

On 2/9/2023 at 1:22 AM, Nsschenks said:

-maybe not the prettiest 9.6

Nice result. I literally have too many copies of this comic including 2 that were graded shortly after CGC got started. This almost has me thinking they should be resubmitted b/c the standards have evolved. 

On 2/9/2023 at 12:32 AM, scburdet said:

Nice result. I literally have too many copies of this comic including 2 that were graded shortly after CGC got started. This almost has me thinking they should be resubmitted b/c the standards have evolved. 

Thanks! Yeah, this was certainly the one I was most surprised about. I was expecting anywhere from 9.0 to mayyybe 9.4. Haven't looked at older slabbed copies of this, but I did a lot of digging into Batman: TDKR #1 and realized a lot of the newer slabbed 9.6/9.8's seemed more generous in regard to certain defects (such as the back cover corner wear that is common on that book).