• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

METROPOLIS

47 posts in this topic

The major problem with this - and all of KK's other comparable posts is that the product exists - whereas in OA - it does not. Every movie poster or stamp or commercially viable object is in someone's possession - and so a legitimate comparison to comic books can be made - but not to OA - the major dilemma with OA is that many of the pieces that would command top dollar either do not exist or are hidden in a collection somewhere. I do not believe that there will be a widespread OA market until many of the pieces are in play or known to be available - the OA market is really still in its infancy with lots of rumor and insider info - but not much known to the general population. The market won't really grow until we stop 'keeping it to ourselves' and share information freely.

I think the market has come a long way, but it still has a LONG way to go. Think about it - what collectibles are there left to develop as emerging markets??

Classic video games are emerging - but those were always made publicly available...OA is certainly there as well, with a phenomenal backstory as well. Someone could write a phenomenal book on the hobby and I certainly think that there would be an audience for it...and I think the hobby would really explode from the public awareness to it. I think that there is an entire untapped market of people that may never have even considered that the OA even exists to their favorite stories...but again, I still think that day is a long ways away...

Personally I think the Frankenstein teaser is better than the regular 1-sheet or the six-sheet.

And while another Frankenstein 6-sheet hasn't been offered for public sale, there is another copy of it and a Dracula 6-sheet known also.

so the poster brought in 600k....and there are 4 known in existence,and more than likely more somewhere....what would the actual original art for that poster bring? or the original art to that Frankenstein poster? Are the buyers in that poster market also the kind of buyers that would bid on the original art for that poster? Metropolis is almost 90 years old. The guy that bought it wasn't around when the movie came out,or atleast old enough to remember seeing it when it came out. The same will be for OA one day. Guys with stupid money will get in on this market sooner or later,and initially they are gonna go after everything key that is known to exist. I only wish I had the funds to buy/sit/and wait on the pieces that are gonna kill!

Comickings, keep in mind that comic original art does not look the same as the printed cover. The painting for one of these posters would be identical, and much more desirable.

On top of that, there are infinitely more movie fans than there are comic book fans.

Comickings, keep in mind that comic original art does not look the same as the printed cover. The painting for one of these posters would be identical, and much more desirable.

On top of that, there are infinitely more movie fans than there are comic book fans.

So, my argument finds a basis in fact. I had stated the reason the Metropolis poster pulled in that kind of cash was due to a larger market for it.

Thus:

YOU CAN TAKE THE PIMP OUTTA THE KK BUT YOUCAN"T PUT THE PIMP IN THE OA!!!!

Funny you should say that, as most movie poster collectors are perplexed by the fact that there are more comic collectors than there are poster collectors (especially since far more people watch movies than read comics.

The smaller numbers even out though with the more limited availibility of the top pieces. i.e - 4 Metropolis 3-sheets known, 5 Frankenstein 1-sheets, 4 Mummy 1-sheets, etc. Can you imagine the prices if there were only 4 Action #1's or 5 Detective #27's?

Perhaps at that point collectors give up as they never expect to see one for sale?

The smaller numbers even out though with the more limited availibility of the top pieces. i.e - 4 Metropolis 3-sheets known, 5 Frankenstein 1-sheets, 4 Mummy 1-sheets, etc. Can you imagine the prices if there were only 4 Action #1's or 5 Detective #27's?

Perhaps at that point collectors give up as they never expect to see one for sale?

But that's not surprising, because the nature and distribution of movie posters and comics was completely different. Comics were a mass-marketed product sold to the public in the millions. People actually had them in hand to collect if they chose. Movie posters were just mass-produced advertisements for the main product, the movie itself, and primarily distributed to the movie houses that were showing the films, and not made available to the public in any way. For the vast majority of people, they were just an afterthought and it would never have occurred to them to try to get that poster they saw hanging there in the lobby.

I have no idea how the vintage posters that do exist made their way to the market. Were most from the printer's archives, the movie studios' archives, or from the theatres (or theatre owners who happened to keep some)? Were the theatres even allowed to keep them, or were they instructed to destroy them after the movie finished its run?

The Metropolis poster is nice. This is much nicer.

the ultimate poster

There are 4 known copies of the Metropolis poster. There is 1 known copy of this poster.

Gee Steve, I wonder who owns that poster? smirk.gif27_laughing.gif

HEY HEY HEY

WHEN STEVEN FISCHLER AT METROPOLIS COMICS PROMOTES HIS FRANKENSTEIN POSTER...NOBODY RAISES A FUSS.

BUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT THE OA THAT I OWN, EVERYBODY GETS INTO A HIZZY AND CALLS ME A PUMPER NICKEL

NOW, I'M NOT ONE TO COMPLAIN, BUT I SENSE A DOUBLE STANDARD DEVELOPING HERE

I'M NOT THE ONE THAT WENT ON HISTORY'S MYSTERIES

Funny you should say that, as most movie poster collectors are perplexed by the fact that there are more comic collectors than there are poster collectors (especially since far more people watch movies than read comics.

Damn you and your facts devil.gif

Anecdotally, I've been to three shops in my life that sold vintage movie posters (Nostalgia Factory and two spots in LA,) I've been to that many comic shops in an afternoon...

the ultimate poster

There are 4 known copies of the Metropolis poster. There is 1 known copy of this poster.

HEY HEY HEY

WHEN STEVEN FISCHLER AT METROPOLIS COMICS PROMOTES HIS FRANKENSTEIN POSTER...NOBODY RAISES A FUSS.

BUT WHEN I TALK ABOUT THE OA THAT I OWN, EVERYBODY GETS INTO A HIZZY AND CALLS ME A PUMPER NICKEL

I believe you get called a OA PIMPER not a pumper nickel which is fine bread not an OA scheister. But that aside, I mean it in good fun. After all, your manner on the boards is more than somewhat akin to a used car salesman.

flowerred.gif

the ultimate poster

HEY HEY HEY

Maybe because there's very clear proof that Steve owns it, dumb arse! makepoint.gif If you would just show some of the art you claim to own, that would at least take out one of the criticisms that keeps being leveled at you.

And ever notice how Steve doesn't come on here constantly spamming us to collect movie posters OR original art? makepoint.gif