• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN—PGM Marvel Premiere 21 (no MJs 😞)
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Nothing to add here really. First Misty Knight. Threw in a photo of the original grade sticker for kicks.

Edit: just noticed I photographed a shadow onto the BRFC. That's not on the actual book

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b6f9dcec0c3bf2c3065ecd918bb7c59a.png

PXL_20230110_000337253.jpg

PXL_20230110_000349226.jpg

PXL_20230110_000447607.jpg

Edited by scburdet

I did not look at your "hidden contents".

All I see is some slight color rub and very slight corner wear, without having the book in front of me I would say you are in the NM- 9.2- NM 9.4 range.

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

9.2 NEAR MINT- (NM-):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only a minor additional defect or defects that keep it from Near Mint. A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with only the slightest dimming of reflectivity. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

So, I guess you're required to have at least one disappointment from every multi-book submission. Maybe this one got 1.0 grade points transferred to issue 20. From an appearance standpoint in the holder, this looks a lot closer to the War is Hell than the other Marvel Premiere at the same signing. The notes indicate "very light foxing to cover" (I never noticed), which I am assuming are a major factor in this being mid-VF instead of closer to NM.

PXL_20230323_191845688.jpg

On 3/23/2023 at 10:50 PM, Mars76 said:

at least get a 9.0

yeah, IDK. Anecdotally, they have been treating discoloration defects harder that at one point in history were allowable. Going the direction of stains even though it's from natural processes.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:57 PM, scburdet said:

yeah, IDK. Anecdotally, they have been treating discoloration defects harder that at one point in history were allowable. Going the direction of stains even though it's from natural processes.

I missed the foxing, foxing auto drops to an 8.0

For what it's worth, my last couple of 10 book submissions have been much more harshly graded than the 5-6 that came before (all this year, sent in batches of 10 books). With the first sets, I was routinely hitting my grades or even exceeding them by 1 or 2 levels (I overestimated my grades on only 3 of 60+ books submitted). The last two I have been off by as much as 5 grades (the majority have been 1-2 levels lower). So at least on these latest two submissions, there appears to be a significant change at CGC or I have had a bit of a personal upward "grade creep" as I was receiving better grades than I was originally estimating. To test against that, I have posted a bunch of the books to this forum to cross-check my original estimations and most of the feedback I have been getting was consistant with my grading, not what CGC gave (I'll post the "grades in" once I actually receive the books and have a moment to scan them).

On the plus side, they seem to be adding grader notes to just about every book (even got one for my 9.8 Star Wars #81 signed by Harrison Ford), so I guess that's a bit of a bonus (although not necessarily on that 9.8). I'm a little concerned about the books I submitted for the Claremont and Miller signature series. Have my fingers crossed that I just hit a harsher grader on a couple of my submissions instead of a wholesale change to CGCs approach (especially concerning "printer creases" that by all estimation were flagged as flaws on several books I submitted and may be responsible for the poorer grades and that really shouldn't be the case -- I have an email into CGC support on that one).