• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions

17 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2023 at 9:13 AM, Chuck Hurley said:

Anyone have experience using Goldin Auctions for selling books instead of eBay? I'm considering listing my Hulk 181 with them.

My opinion is on non-trading cards Goldin auctions get fewer eyeballs and since the bubble burst they no longer get uninformed newb's with deep pockets.

Why not Comiclink or Heritage?   The fee's on the former are more reasonable as well.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/12/2023 at 10:07 AM, MAR1979 said:

My opinion is on non-trading cards Goldin auctions get fewer eyeballs and since the bubble burst they no longer get uniformed newb's with deep pockets.

Why not Comiclink or Heritage?   The fee's on the former are more reasonable as well.

I am uninformed about uniformed newbs. Please expand.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:17 AM, seanfingh said:

I am uninformed about uniformed newbs. Please expand.

Pretty near a 20 year old term. Origin's in on-line (video) gaming. For purpose of my original post you can substitute it for; rube,simpleton,novice,neophyte

Someone who is new to the activity that they are currently partaking in. Very often this term is used pertaining to computer games.
Edited by MAR1979

On 1/12/2023 at 10:39 AM, MAR1979 said:

Pretty near a 20 year old term. Origin's in on-line (video) gaming. For purpose of my original post you can substitute it for; rube,simpleton,novice,neophyte

Someone who is new to the activity that they are currently partaking in. Very often this term is used pertaining to computer games.

I was just having fun with you. You typed uniformed i.e. "wearing a uniform" instead of uninformed "having no information, naive, newbish."

I shouldn't have wasted my time.  My bad.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:49 AM, seanfingh said:

I was just having fun with you. You typed uniformed i.e. "wearing a uniform" instead of uninformed "having no information, naive, newbish."

Nay, 'twas a worthwhile endeavor! I clicked on this thread when I saw you had commented.

My opinion is on non-trading cards Goldin auctions get fewer eyeballs and since the bubble burst they no longer get uniformed newb's with deep pockets.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:49 AM, seanfingh said:

Now I see it.  Stupid auto-spell checker!

Thanks. I will check out both. I am a noob myself when it comes to grading and selling. 

I looked at past auctions on Goldin. They had a 6.0 Hulk 181 (same as mine) go for $5400. Their fees are 10%.

https://goldin.co/buy/?search=hulk 181&page=1&sort=Highest_Bids&number_of_lots=24&show_only=Sold%20Items

On 1/12/2023 at 12:56 PM, Chuck Hurley said:

Thanks. I will check out both. I am a noob myself when it comes to grading and selling. 

I looked at past auctions on Goldin. They had a 6.0 Hulk 181 (same as mine) go for $5400. Their fees are 10%.

https://goldin.co/buy/?search=hulk 181&page=1&sort=Highest_Bids&number_of_lots=24&show_only=Sold%20Items

Did not realize they were only 10%, given lower amount of viewers seems fair

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/12/2023 at 4:09 PM, alexgross.com said:

very few people use them. comiclink also charges ten per cent and has far more bidders. i am not employed by comiclink, but i have given them tons of my money. 

Hi Alex! Maybe this issue has been vetted on the boards before, but I KNOW you have the answer: Do you know why ComicLink does not share its sales data with price aggregators like GPAnalysis?
I personally use and enjoy the ComicLink platform, and more and more people seem to be using it. But it seems to be a problem that ComicLink sales are not making it to our tools analyzing book prices. 

On 1/18/2023 at 7:58 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

Hi Alex! Maybe this issue has been vetted on the boards before, but I KNOW you have the answer: Do you know why ComicLink does not share its sales data with price aggregators like GPAnalysis?

They wants to be paid and want to cherry pick the scraping to only show their auctions they feel did very strong.  They want money for self-skewed data that puts them only in perfect light.  Wisely GPA said no to their nonsense.

Also it may involve updating their seemingly circa 1998 website.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/18/2023 at 10:37 AM, Calmics said:

It's because Josh is very shady.

Trying to think of an auction house that deal with Comics or Trading cards that isn't shady...

Heritage, Goldin, ComicConnect are totally shady, and eBay does not care what goes on as long as they gets their cut.

Seller manipulation aside, perhaps MyComicShop is the closest thing to honest currently in Comic Auctions? Kudos to them if so

Fix is in pretty much everywhere the only way to not get stung  is to avoid all of them

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/18/2023 at 7:02 AM, MAR1979 said:

They wants to be paid and want to cherry pick the scraping to only show their auctions they feel did very strong.  They want money for self-skewed data that puts them only in perfect light.  Wisely GPA said no to their nonsense.

Also it may involve updating their seemingly circa 1998 website.

+1

for years now i've been keeping screen shots of auction results of books that i am interested in. it's quite annoying that they won't report to gpa like almost everyone else does. especially on books you don't see that often, when one auction result can make a big difference in current value. 

On 1/18/2023 at 10:51 AM, MAR1979 said:

Trying to think of an auction house that deal with Comics or Trading cards that isn't shady...

Heritage, Goldin, ComicConnect are totally shady, and eBay does not care what goes on as long as they gets their cut.

Seller manipulation aside, perhaps MyComicShop is the closest thing to honest currently in Comic Auctions? Kudos to them if so

Fix is in pretty much everywhere the only way to not get stung  is to avoid all of them

Agree with this. Beyond the auction houses, you have the dealers. But (admittedly the few) dealers that I’ve come across seem to always price higher than the auction house results… a bit of a head scratcher given lack of fees. These Boards seem to be the most reasonable place in my experience but it is way slower…

Edited by WNY

On 1/18/2023 at 10:45 PM, WNY said:

Agree with this. Beyond the auction houses, you have the dealers. But (admittedly the few) dealers that I’ve come across seem to always price higher than the auction house results… a bit of a head scratcher given lack of fees. These Boards seem to be the most reasonable place in my experience but it is way slower…

As things continue to worsen we'll see if the method of many dealers continues to "put food on the table" and "make the rent".  It's easy to make money in a bubble or good economic times. In a buyers market we will see which dealers actually have business acumen - my guess is only a small percentage.

Edited by MAR1979