• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Classics Hunchback 1947 (Canadian White?)
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I think this is quite rare.  (I've sure never seen one before).  Is this what's known as a Canadian White?

This is Canadian so the inside covers are blank white and the back cover is blank white.

Cover & CF are snug at the staples.

A tiny bit of rust/discoloration on the staples, but there is no staining/transfer onto the paper.

Back cover shows dirt (I haven't tried to clean it at all).

Final interior page and back cover shows tanning in the lower left corner.

Light stain upper right corner of back cover

IMG_4921.jpeg

IMG_4922.jpeg

IMG_4924.jpeg

IMG_4923.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 1/13/2023 at 6:19 PM, zzutak said:

Post-1946.  Here's a link to a brief tutorial by Ivan K:foryou:

Thanks Zzutak, that was super interesting. 

In the last paragraph the author says he considers these Gilberton Classics to actually be WECA books even though his definition of a WECA book says they go from "March 1941 to the end of 1946" and these Classics start in 1947.  Hmmmm....

On 1/14/2023 at 6:21 AM, gadzukes said:

In the last paragraph the author says he considers these Gilberton Classics to actually be WECA books

Not quite -- Ivan's actual quote is:

"For example, I would consider the 1946 Gilberton Classics Comics to be WECA books, even though they are little more than 15 cent price variant reprints. The only criteria for being included in the WECA group is that a comic be printed in Canada (including books for export to the UK) during this period of March, 1941 to the end of 1946 ."

Your book is not a Classic Comics #18 from 1941-46 but a Classics Illustrated #18 from 1947.  The difference may seem minor or "technical" but it's really quite significant in terms of value.  :foryou:

CC-18.png.5f17e2228889545259eb281c09a3071c.png

Edited by zzutak

On 1/13/2023 at 6:22 PM, JollyComics said:

@zzutak

I believe Canadian White Comic books started in 1942 until 1946.

https://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/whites-tsunami-weca-splashes/1942-if-day/

Hi, Michael.  :hi:  Ivan's actual quote from your linked article is, "1942, the first full year of Canadian wartime comics ..."  The War Exchange Conservation Act (WECA) dates to December 6, 1940.  The first Canadian comics published under this act had cover dates of March 1941.  So 1941 is regarded as a partial rather than full year.  More technicalities, eh?  :foryou:

On 1/14/2023 at 10:43 AM, zzutak said:

Hi, Michael.  :hi:  Ivan's actual quote from your linked article is, "1942, the first full year of Canadian wartime comics ..."  The War Exchange Conservation Act (WECA) dates to December 6, 1940.  The first Canadian comics published under this act had cover dates of March 1941.  So 1941 is regarded as a partial rather than full year.  More technicalities, eh?  :foryou:

Hi there! 

Yes, it's rather confused at some points.