• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN ASM 129
2 2

13 posts in this topic

1.8/2.0. Too beat up for pressing to do much good. At best it might look marginally better to make it lay flatter (if it survived the process), but I don't the grade would change.

Edited by scburdet

If not for the popped staple, this book could potentially press out to a 2.5-3.0 (with a really pro Clean & Press). Most of the wrinkling/creasing appears to be non color breaking. The spine roll will come out during pressing. Unfortunately, the pulled staple will bring it down to a 1.8-2.0 (with a C&P). A pro might be able to reattach the bottom staple but no guarantees. As is it’s a 1.0-1.5 book. Thanks for sharing.

Wow conundrum time! Comics in this state I take apart and make them look nicer with spine repair and tear seals. I do it for fun on cheap comics worth pennies. This either needs a lot of work or none at all. You decide. 1.0 to 1.5 as is and doubt would make better than 2.0 after a lot of work by which time it would be restored in CGCs eyes. I'd leave as is if it were mine. At least until I'd had more practice on cheap comics.

Posted (edited)

after cnp spine fix

Title

Amazing Spider-Man

Issue

Issue Date

2/74

Issue Year

Publisher

Marvel Comics

Grade

Page Quality

OFF-WHITE

Grade Category

Universal

Art Comments

Gerry Conway story, Ross Andru,
Frank Giacoia and Dave Hunt art
Gil Kane and John Romita cover

Key Comments

1st appearance of the Punisher
(Frank Castle) and the Jackal.

Grader Notes

staple detached bottom of cover
multiple crease cover breaks color
staining to cover
tears to cover

CGC4421860-003_OBV ASM129 2.5f.jpg

CGC4421860-003_REV ASM129 2.5B.jpg

Edited by marf

In light of what certainly appears to be undisclosed and undetected restoration work performed to the Avengers 4 (and likely at least a couple of the other books) in this submission, I've tried to look through all of them. I'm less certain about my doubts for this book than some of the others, but given the nature of the work seemingly done...

My problem here is the area associated with the top staple. There is unquestionable a circular missing piece of the spine at the top prong of the staple and a staple tear at the bottom prong. In the initial image, these are visible on the front of the book due to extremely severe spine roll.

image.png.54d3b8cf49f11e0590a6ac0cb93d0972.png

After pressing, we see that the spine roll has been corrected. And there's nothing wrong with than in and of itself. The top staple is now very close to being in line with the cover fold, which means defects to the left of that staple will have pushed to the back cover (where they belong).

image.png.98ce8cca34c5df4f46847a390854d6a3.png

But here's what the back cover looks like in the slab in the vicinity of the upper staple:

image.png.6e82d141e5cf09a4025797b53714d0df.png

It's possible, I suppose, that the circular piece-out is positioned precisely such that it isn't visible from either side of the slab, although I'm doubtful. I also feel that would have earned a more specific callout than simply the "tears to cover" designation. But also, where is that tear extending left from the lower prong? It's long enough that it almost has to be visible on the back cover, but there's... simply nothing there. 

Several of these other books have considerable evidence of leafcasted or dry grafted paper addition. My belief is that the restorationist involved with these books was either concerned that the top staple would blow out, or actually had the top staple pop during correction of the spine roll, and opted to add material to repair the resulting defect. Furthermore, there is a brownish stain in the vicinity of the top staple on the back cover. Although this more or less matches a slightly discolored area around the top prong hole (but again, there's no longer a hole or tear), it is quite a bit darker (unlike all the other stains that were successfully lightened). I suspect it is either the result of material mismatch or an intentional effort to disguise this restoration work.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:06 PM, marf said:

after cnp spine fix

WOW. That spine roll fix makes a huge difference! And I guess the chunk out of the back cover at the top was still attached and just needed to be folded in properly? Massive improvement and is a great presenting 2.5!

@marf did CGC do the c&p ...? 

On 5/28/2024 at 11:21 AM, Qalyar said:

In light of what certainly appears to be undisclosed and undetected restoration work performed to the Avengers 4 (and likely at least a couple of the other books) in this submission, I've tried to look through all of them. I'm less certain about my doubts for this book than some of the others, but given the nature of the work seemingly done...

My problem here is the area associated with the top staple. There is unquestionable a circular missing piece of the spine at the top prong of the staple and a staple tear at the bottom prong. In the initial image, these are visible on the front of the book due to extremely severe spine roll.

image.png.54d3b8cf49f11e0590a6ac0cb93d0972.png

After pressing, we see that the spine roll has been corrected. And there's nothing wrong with than in and of itself. The top staple is now very close to being in line with the cover fold, which means defects to the left of that staple will have pushed to the back cover (where they belong).

image.png.98ce8cca34c5df4f46847a390854d6a3.png

But here's what the back cover looks like in the slab in the vicinity of the upper staple:

image.png.6e82d141e5cf09a4025797b53714d0df.png

It's possible, I suppose, that the circular piece-out is positioned precisely such that it isn't visible from either side of the slab, although I'm doubtful. I also feel that would have earned a more specific callout than simply the "tears to cover" designation. But also, where is that tear extending left from the lower prong? It's long enough that it almost has to be visible on the back cover, but there's... simply nothing there. 

Several of these other books have considerable evidence of leafcasted or dry grafted paper addition. My belief is that the restorationist involved with these books was either concerned that the top staple would blow out, or actually had the top staple pop during correction of the spine roll, and opted to add material to repair the resulting defect. Furthermore, there is a brownish stain in the vicinity of the top staple on the back cover. Although this more or less matches a slightly discolored area around the top prong hole (but again, there's no longer a hole or tear), it is quite a bit darker (unlike all the other stains that were successfully lightened). I suspect it is either the result of material mismatch or an intentional effort to disguise this restoration work.

cgcasm129.png.3511c22c6de13b7c2edc04667e09fceb.png

cgcasm1292.png.3603b507305394e48cc61f85697414cc.png

df3062651f1d255c470dd1c2cfb80022.jpg