• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which copy is superior?
2 2

13 posts in this topic

So I’ve found myself in a bit of a weird spot. I recently purchased a copy of ASM #101 on eBay. The book arrived yesterday and it was not the book pictured in the listing! BUT the book I received may be as good or possibly better then the one listed. To me they are neck-and-neck but I do not have much experience with mid-grade books. The seller only described the book as ‘solid and CGC ready’. I already own a better copy of the book so my intent with this one was to get it cleaned/pressed/graded and re-sell. I have informed the seller of the error but I am guessing they might give me the option of keep it or return. My question to anyone here is which of the 2 books is the better copy? Did I get screwed? They both have issues but they are obviously different ones. I’ve included the same 4 photos of each book: front cover, back cover, first page, inside cover. Call the first book ‘Flower’ and the second book ‘Black’.

I’d greatly appreciate anyones input on which is the better copy and any thoughts on grades. Thanks!

A6F725FE-0F3F-4555-A992-623A2B4C3458.png

3E0135A1-CB1C-4473-A501-7EF5DA5A1A20.png

1CF9A3A9-0E8E-43DB-93AA-75F9BBE81109.png

1FA18B0A-E62E-4C35-858C-28281BA9CA08.png

0E7C81D6-049A-42E2-8ED0-C104C18FAD40.jpeg

9D0442C5-5963-4AE0-9E32-83E28DE98C52.jpeg

707DA259-4EC4-4242-97F9-F20DB0D9848D.jpeg

E3F6A6EE-F5D8-4713-8D43-CA38A9425B88.jpeg

On 1/15/2023 at 8:39 AM, Artboy99 said:

first book is in slightly better condition. Regardless I would return it and then never deal with that person again as who wants to deal with a seller who will intentionally swap books? 

100% agree with you there, unless the seller happens to have 2 copies and made a genuine mistake, but he did not have 2 listed.  It also took 12 days to receive from purchase even though I paid $15 for expedited shipping, so there is some suspicious lag time. The seller does have immaculate feedback so I will await the explanation, should be interesting…

On 1/15/2023 at 8:57 AM, mephistopheles said:

I agree the top book is in just slightly better condition. Maybe an 8.0 on book 1 and 7.5 on book 2. Did the listing use a stock image? I always look for that before bidding. Also what grade did he list it at? 

He just listed it as a ‘solid CGC ready book’

On 1/15/2023 at 10:53 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

There's some page damage on flower that's not there on black. So for me it's hard to say which one id prefer. Either way, not to get the exact item you bid on is suspect. Seller unlikely to substitute a nicer copy out of the goodness of their heart!

Both books have between 5-7 spine ticks. To me the difference really is the color breaking lines in the lower right. What is worse, more smaller color breaking lines or less lines but they are longer?

i actually think the spine ticks on the first book seem slightly more pronounced. Maybe its bc they contrast more with the green color background. Also the paper in the first book seems slightly more off color to me, slightly more yellowed. I prefer the second book from what i see here

As everyone said, they look pretty similar, so maybe the seller's error was accidental.  Not an excuse of course, that's why "A copy" and "B copy" were invented.

The 2nd copy seems (from back cover pic) to have a small impact ding near bottom of spine.  I'd guess 7.0 and 6.5, but probably Im being too critical, and the centering on both is exceptional for this book.

Yes a mistake by the seller , Interesting to see what he does . I myself have made a few mistakes and always when I do tell the buyer and ask if he still wants the book and if I can also include a small discount if he does take the different book .People are not perfect and to expect them to be perfect is Crazy talk CGC is not perfect i know this first hand from experience I mean when you send in a book to be graded and they lose the book that certainly does not make them perfect either . Hopefully the seller helps you out .

On 1/15/2023 at 3:11 PM, davidking623 said:

Yes a mistake by the seller , Interesting to see what he does . I myself have made a few mistakes and always when I do tell the buyer and ask if he still wants the book and if I can also include a small discount if he does take the different book .People are not perfect and to expect them to be perfect is Crazy talk CGC is not perfect i know this first hand from experience I mean when you send in a book to be graded and they lose the book that certainly does not make them perfect either . Hopefully the seller helps you out .

The situation has been resolved. The seller did tell me that he had sold 2 copies in the same short period of time. Though I did not see 2 copies listed on eBay it does sound like the seller sells through multiple venues. He was very apologetic and given the close call between the quality of the 2 books I accepted a partial refund/discount and kept the ‘black’ book. He tried to reach the other buyer and was unsuccessful. I guess I will be getting it graded and see how close the predictions were.

On 1/15/2023 at 1:10 PM, grebal said:

As everyone said, they look pretty similar, so maybe the seller's error was accidental.  Not an excuse of course, that's why "A copy" and "B copy" were invented.

The 2nd copy seems (from back cover pic) to have a small impact ding near bottom of spine.  I'd guess 7.0 and 6.5, but probably Im being too critical, and the centering on both is exceptional for this book.

I’m hoping a good press can address that impact ding on the back. I am planning on submitting for grading and I’d love to pull a 7 if possible.