• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED -- Rare CAPTAIN AMERICA movie serial photos
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi folks... been a while since I've posted items for sale here so please reach out if I don't cover all the bases.  Pretty sure I've posted on the boards before that in addition to collecting comics, I also collect and sell vintage Hollywood photos.  Was going through some items for my eBay store and came across a few great rare Captain America movie serial photos that I thought might be better suited to give you guys a shot at here instead.  The Captain America serial was filmed in 1943 and originally distributed to theaters in early 1944 by Republic Pictures, probably the most prolific of the serial distributors.  Since Captain America was only first introduced in the comics in 1941, he obviously made quite the splash pretty quickly... how can you miss with a patriotic war-time hero!  Anyway, the 15 chapter serial was the most expensive ever made and marked the very first time that a Marvel character appeared on film... so for us comic geeks, it is historically significant.  The serial was successful for Republic and they re-released it to theaters in 1953 as "Return of Captain America".  The photos I am listing here are from this 1953 re-release.

Couple of interesting little tidbits about the serial version of Captain America... his secret identity is Grant Gardner rather than Steve Rogers and he uses a gun instead of a shield!  I guess guns were more popular during Hollywood's 1940s noir period (think Humphrey Bogart).  The gun features prominently in a few of the photos I'll be listing.  Oh, and Captain America is played by MR. Purcell... his physique, as you'll see, isn't quite up to modern superhero standards!

The Rules 

First :takeit: gets it.

Reasonable offers will be considered.

Payment by Paypal, Zelle or check required within three days of purchase

Domestic shipping is $6.85 by USPS 1st class mail.  International shipping is based on destination and weight.  You can reach out for a quote.

No questions asked returns are allowed up to 14 days (same as my eBay policy).  Shipping charges are the buyer's.

I am a 2400+ 100% positive eBay seller so order with confidence (you can check out my eBay feedback at eastendcollectibles1).

No probies or HOS purchasers allowed.

I'm using comic grading criteria in grading the photos.  They're in very nice shape for their age.

Ok, on with the pics!

Edited by EastEnd1

$80.00

Size: 8" x 10 1/8"

Very Fine condition -- clean... no tears or folds... generally smooth clean image with just two or three small light dimples visible in raking light... nice corners... minor edge wear... slight loss of gloss evident in raking light... excellent verso.  Very nice high grade photo!

Hey, since when does Captain America use a gun??!!  And where's his shield??!!

return of captain america jv18pih6-100at front.jpg

return of captain america jv18pih6-100at front2.jpg

return of captain america jv18pih6-100at verso.jpg

Edited by EastEnd1

$60.00

Size 8" x 10 1/8"

Very Fine / Near Mint condition -- bright, clean and glossy... no tears or folds... no creases... sharp corners and edges... smooth clean impression free image area... nice verso... some paper curl which can be flattened.  Terrific high grade photo!

Edited by EastEnd1

$80

Very Fine / Near Mint condition -- bright, clean and glossy... no tears or folds... generally smooth clean image area... sharp edges... the slightest corner blunting... excellent verso.  Terrific high grade photo!

There's that gun again!

Edited by EastEnd1

And lastly...

$40

Fine condition -- bright, clean and glossy... no tears or folds... nice corners... edge wear at top and right... a few significant creases at right of image area.  Mid-grade photo...

Edited by EastEnd1

these are extremely awesome.  Can you post what the sizes are?

On 1/19/2023 at 5:02 PM, revat said:

these are extremely awesome.  Can you post what the sizes are?

Thank you so much!  All measure 8" x 10 1/8" (which is a fairly standard size for film stills).  Have updated each post

Edited by EastEnd1