• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spare a grade, and can this be pressed?
3 3

8 posts in this topic

Did you get this signed yourself? I hear stories of SL forgeries regularly, but I couldn't tell you if it's genuine. I see some medium grade stress lines along the spine. I don't think the cardstock covers press as well as a thinner paper and it looks like those stress lines break color. Corners are a little blunted. 9.0/9.2.

On 1/20/2023 at 8:38 PM, scburdet said:

Did you get this signed yourself? I hear stories of SL forgeries regularly, but I couldn't tell you if it's genuine. I see some medium grade stress lines along the spine. I don't think the cardstock covers press as well as a thinner paper and it looks like those stress lines break color. Corners are a little blunted. 9.0/9.2.

9.0-9.2 without press? Or with? And the guy was reputable but it’s always a fear of it is forged. I’d just have cbcs send back if it doesn’t pass the verification. And then cry a little bit haha. 

On 1/20/2023 at 10:24 PM, Sammyk0130 said:

9.0-9.2 without press

I'd probably press to try flattening out the impressions around the breaks, but I am not experience with pressing on this format (and I have pros do my pressings). These are my best guesses based on anecdotal information. I'm not 100% convinced the grade moves much, but if they flatten out some, it would look better. 9.0 without 9.2 with, but could go either way with either course of action, and I'd definitely consult with an experience presser before moving forward.

My grading skills are far from perfect which is why I am mostly a lurker on these message boards.  However, I do not think your comic can exceed an 8.0. It looks like there are at least four significant colour breaking spine ticks that are present on both sides of the book, as well as some lesser ticks. The dirt in the price box and Marvel Comics logo can probably be cleaned, but I think the spot on Spidy’s left leg is damage of some sort. Corners are a bit soft. The rear top left corner appears to have a slight crease and a tiny chip just below that corner. Also, one of the photos shows some general scraping around Spidy’s legs (but some of that might be allowable on these types of covers…I don’t know).

Good luck with the signature verification. You may want to try the Beckett online signature review for $10 first. They will review pictures and tell you if it is likely to pass a full authentication.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:40 AM, Cerebus3000 said:

My grading skills are far from perfect which is why I am mostly a lurker on these message boards.  However, I do not think your comic can exceed an 8.0. It looks like there are at least four significant colour breaking spine ticks that are present on both sides of the book, as well as some lesser ticks. The dirt in the price box and Marvel Comics logo can probably be cleaned, but I think the spot on Spidy’s left leg is damage of some sort. Corners are a bit soft. The rear top left corner appears to have a slight crease and a tiny chip just below that corner. Also, one of the photos shows some general scraping around Spidy’s legs (but some of that might be allowable on these types of covers…I don’t know).

Good luck with the signature verification. You may want to try the Beckett online signature review for $10 first. They will review pictures and tell you if it is likely to pass a full authentication.

Dude thank you so much!!! I did not know Beckett had this!!!