• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Strange Tales 138 (new copy)
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Not that anyone remembers, but I posted a PGM Strange Tales 138 a while back with an oil transfer stain (https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/511149-pgm-strange-tales-138/) where the consensus was around 7.0/7.5. I found another copy from a seller I've had very good luck with, so try this one on for size. I believe this seller is a conservative grader. The main defect is a light crease on the BRFC. I've got a magazine with a larger crease like this, so I have an idea where this should fall.

Spoiler

seller rates this a 7.0. I think it's better than that

StrangeTales-138b.jpg

PXL_20230120_202519091.jpg

PXL_20230120_202516064.jpg

PXL_20230120_202513169.jpg

PXL_20230120_202509754.jpg

PXL_20230120_202620663.jpg

StrangeTales-138bRev.jpg

Edited by scburdet

I just checked your spoiler, interesting. 

But anyway, on second thought thinking the close-ups show such an exaggeration of the light corner wear, so I think 8.0 is possible too - would need to see in hand, or pic at an angle with major glare to highlight the surface. [not suggesting you take more pics, just pointing out challenge of grading by pics.]

On 1/24/2023 at 12:46 AM, grebal said:

just pointing out challenge of grading by pics

no doubt. I agree that photos (glare, etc.) sometimes exaggerate the severity of some defects & sometimes mask others. It's just great to get a few more sets of eyeballs on something b/c I've missed things before. It think the easiest things to grade by photo are the lower grade books b/c the defects are pretty obvious.