• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN Avengers #4
3 3

31 posts in this topic

I'd say 4.5 and might improve a bit. I hate to say this, and it may just be the photos, but the top and bottom edges look a bit wavy -- maybe take a closer look for signs of trimming.

After CNP huge bump!

Title

Avengers

Issue

Issue Date

3/64

Issue Year

Publisher

Marvel Comics

Grade

Page Quality

OFF-WHITE

Grade Category

Universal

Art Comments

Stan Lee story
Jack Kirby and George Roussos
cover and art

Key Comments

1st Silver Age appearance of
Captain America (Steve Rogers).
Sub-Mariner appearance.

Grader Notes

spine stress lines breaks color
wear full bottom of front cover breaks color
light Marvel tears front cover

CGC4421860-002_OBVAV4F.jpg

CGC4421860-002_REVAVE4.jpg

On 5/27/2024 at 9:22 PM, shadroch said:

How does a press fix the missing chunk by Subby?  

Hopefully, someone is trying to pull a prank.

Yeah - above Ironman's hand. That book has been transformed. 

Posted (edited)

Maybe it was a stain. :691460725_armsraised:

Screenshot_20240527_210746_Chrome.jpg

Edited by grendelbo

Hoo boy.

I am rather significantly concerned that this book was restored and that that restoration went undetected at CGC. Before showing why that's the case, I'd like to note that this is almost certainly the same book. The pattern of wear at the bottom left corner is identical between the original photos and the slabbed copy, and that's fairly conclusive. 

I have no opinion on the top of the book. The original photo is blurry enough, and the paper wavy enough, that I'm willing to buy just about anything happening up there. But I'm very concerned about the right edge. And it's not just about that big obvious chunk that was previous missing above Iron Man's hand, although I'll address that, too.

Let's talk about Subby's inset box. Here is a close-up of the upper-right corner of the inset box from the original image. Like most copies of Avengers 4, the blue box doesn't come to a point because it's clipped by the edge of the cover. That's actually normal. The artwork for this cover is wider than the actual dimensions the books were cut to, so just about ALL copies clip this box. Some clip is VERY severely if they were miscut to the right. You can currently see a couple of those in stock at MCS. But what's important here isn't that the box is clipped, it's that its uneven. It's tough to notice in that picture, but there's actually a chip out of the right margin at the corner of this box. Despite the poor resolution, you can see the darker, off-white color of the interior page behind the missing piece, which matches the color of the interior page shown behind the larger, obvious piece out below. Take note of how that makes the corner of Subby's inset box slant up and to the left, away from the cover margin.

image.png.61662ca954bac89870f80da4e18b5478.png

Now let's have a look at this miracle 7.0 slab.

image.png.7c10ef72ab86648eab928fe063f3d41f.png

And immediately, we have a problem. Subby's inset box is "clipped", but well away from the margin of the book. This isn't just an optical illusion caused by page fan, either; if you look at the back of the slab, you can see the pages actually fan the other way. So that's already a huge red flag. But more importantly, look at how the corner of the inset box is clipped on an uneven diagonal, up and to the left, away from the margin. This is impossible on a book that has not been manipulated, because the only reason you shouldn't see the corner of that inset box is that it is cut off by the vertical edge of the page. 

There's only one possible answer here.

Through some method, whether that's traditional leaf casting or some sort of "dry grafting" process, material was added to the right edge of this book, filling in the chip present at the corner of the inset box. However, perhaps rightly believing that color touch would be too easily detected, the restorationist did not ink in the missing piece of the inset's corner. And, honestly, if we look further down, to that big missing chunk, the situation becomes even more obvious.

image.png.288821924bd103ce1b29c15c2948f03b.pngimage.png.62e6db7bebb8486f01796a0ff898ac62.png

The first image, on the left, is the large chip out from the original. The second image is the same area from the slab. You can see a slight color distortion along the edge of the cover. In isolation, it would be easy to pass this off as uneven aging of the paper, but I think that's clearly the imperfect color match of the fill material.